Rage Hypodermics

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Junior, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Junior

Junior Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone try shooting the Rage Hypodermics? Any success with them? Reason I ask is my hunting partner and I have shot the original 2 blade Rage since day one. I believe that if somethings not broken, dont try to fix it. Well he decided to try the new Rage Hypodermics. As far as Im concerned, those things can go in the trash can. He has shot three deer, and lost three deer with those darn things. Of those three arrows flung, only two arrows were recovered...both tips were completely bent, and on one, the expandable blades were completely missing!! Let me just say, that we both pride ourselves with doing our best to make good kill shots on our prey, understanding that some times unforseen things, like branches, etc, happen. We practice shooting year round in our own home made archery range, archery club course, and winter video archery league. However, this goes beyond shooting, skill, and patience I think. Just wanted to see if anyone else was having simialr issues with the model. (OK, I wanted to vent a little too :rant:)

2. mattdawgg319

mattdawgg319 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All I have heard is good things about them..but we will see, I picked some up the other day, and i am heading up home to Iowa tomorrow to arrow a monster hopefully.

3. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Shot a doe, hard quartering away shot, and she only went 22 yards and fell over. Huge cut thru liver, one lung, and cut artery on top of heart

sent from old school can and string

4. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First I've ever read of such and account with them.

I'm a fixed blade guy anyway...NAP Hellrazors here.

5. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I shot two deer with them last night 11/5 and both fell within 50 yards of each other. The first one was exactly 21 yards away quartering slightly towards me, I hit it in the shoulder and it blew right through. Second one was broadside 25 yards away and I Double Lunged it. Complete pass through again. Here is a pic of the broadhead that went through the deer's shoulder. As you can see, the broadhead is not even damaged. And though this is rare, it didn't even break the Shock Collar.

Rage 1.jpg Rage 2.jpg

6. TAuth41

TAuth41 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Did he buy the knock offs on eBay?

7. bghunter777

bghunter777 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not a Rage guy have watched to many accounts of them not penetrating even out of well tuned high KE bows and xbows. We actually no longer permit them on our lease.

8. breazyears

breazyears Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used them for the first time last Sun on a doe. I hit her threw the lungs. She only went about 6ft and fell over. That being said, the hypo did deploy on impact as it should, but the exit hole was minimal. Not sure what happened as the BH was fully intact, and functional when I recovered it. It was a pass threw, but barley. At 30yrds I would have expected it to blow threw her like she wasn't even their.
    So personally im still up in the air on them, and I will be going back to SlickTricks for the rest of the season.
    IMG_20131103_203718.jpg

9. johnwb82

johnwb82 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I dont personally shoot them but have heard the same story on the originals from a buddy here. I shoot with him often and he shoots well and since he has switched broadheads is 3 for 3

10. Junior

Dislikes Received:
    No one set was bought from Gander Mt and one set from Deerfest

11. Junior

Dislikes Received:
    I experienced a similar issue when I tried the Rage chisel tip. Have yet to experience any issues with the original Rage BH with the cutting tip

12. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    shot my buck quartering away, into the paunch and stopped just short of opposite ribs. It cut him up pretty good internally, and I did recover him. However I hit no bone at all, and still snapped a blade. I bought mine through Amazon direct. I have no idea how someone could put one through a shoulder with no damage at all and I hit nothing harder than his hide and I busted a blade. Pics all over the net where the Hypo blades snap at the notch.

first pic is mine after recovery, the second is a random internet pic:

Rage break 2.jpg rage break.jpg

I'll be going back to NAP next year, probably the KZ COCs...

13. LSU327

LSU327 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the NAP KZ COC 100gr and love them. Hard to complain with how easy these are to install and the fact that they fly EXACTLY like my field points.

14. tpmonaha

tpmonaha Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I and others I hunt with have had major problems, I will stick to my spitfires

15. Junior

Dislikes Received:
    Happy you were able to recover your deer at least!

16. Junior

Dislikes Received:
    The one benefit...I guess if you want to call it that anyway...I emailed the company that makes Rage amongst other products, and told them of my disappointment in this product. I was asked where I purchased the product and if I wanted a refund of my purchase price or an exchange product. I was asked to mail the remaining broadheads to the company and within 3 days had my replacment broadheads. I was pretty impressed with the lack of gruff. Guess this company lived up to its guarantee.

17. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    that's pretty decent of them. The company has a bad reputation from some guys on the net who claim that Rage stole their design. I don't know about all that, but if they are willing to refund/exchange on products bought from a different vendor with no questions asked, that's refreshing. I may try the same.

18. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am also trying the hypodermic out this season, but plan on returning to the 2 blade.

19. Sparkchaser

Sparkchaser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I really want to like this head. I shoot it but have never taken game with one and tbh I am scared it might fail and that would kill all confidence in this head for me

20. klutch454

klutch454 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot Rage 2 blades currently. But I'm considering changing over to Dead Ringer Broad heads! check this video out, its very informative. They test the durability of competing broadheads.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017