Rage broadheads

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by alexjoelslaydon, Sep 24, 2013.

1. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Defensive much? Look over my posts, I'm the #1 advocate of use whatever you wish; they all have, are and will kill deer with ease if the hunter does their part. I was merely stating "if" they sent him stuff based on their impressed nature of bone penetration that would be sad. If they sent it like you stated as a mere act of customer service, props to them.

2. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The funniest thing is you can make the bulk of this statement about Mathews also. I agree rage had a pretty aggreseive ad campaign going for awhile and it was annoying. Like you said its all personel preference and there's horror stories from every product in the market.

This discussion is kinda pointless to have though, it could be done with probably hundreds of different products. Kinda entertaining though.

3. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a PSE with NAP broadheads. I shouldn't even be posting in here. I don't shoot a Mathews, with FMJ arrows tipped with a Rage.

I'm a rebel.

4. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    So true about Mathews, won't say otherwise.

5. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If that is the pic of one attached, look like you should be banning the hunter that took what looks to me to be one lousy extreme quartering shot. There is no way I personally would take that shot if it was in fact an extremely hard quartering shot. Honestly from the looks of it, I don't thing a good COC head would have had a much better outcome.

To the OP, I've only shot one and it was with a Rage. It was a chisel tip. Perfectly broadside at 13yd. Took out both lungs and top of the heart. The deer made it 35yd and blood sprayed everywhere. Followed a thick wide red trail straight to it.

6. DD/MO

DD/MO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You're welcome.

7. ARob

ARob Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Classic Rage thread...people either love them, or hate them. No middle of the road.

I use them and have had nothing but great results (knock on wood). I've killed 5 deer w/ them and combining all 5 blood trails its < 200 yards total. Every deer has dropped w/in sight. Now w/ that being said, I placed very good shots which is what it takes to kill an animal. Not the broadhead. You can misplace a shot w/ a riffle and there's a good chance that you might not find the deer. Shot placement is #1.

I do think that after I shoot through my current inventory I am going to make the switch to KillZone Maxx.

8. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not defensive at all... very much more of an offensive posting style. My response was as far from defensive as it gets - but try this one on if you thought the last one was.

You were actually quite critical of the fact that they sent the guy some gear. Who cares what motivation they had? Are you really going to sit on here and pretend to know what motivated them to send the gear? If so, then I'm going to call you on it - I think your good, but I don't think your that good.

I take no offense that you don't like the good ole rage cage... You want to be critical of it, you have that right as a consumer - fire away. Being critical of them sending someone gear is laughable and kind of takes away from your stance that Rage is a junk broadhead.

And since you mentioned it, your statement had no "if" involved in it. You might actually want to go back and look.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  9. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Dude seriously, I don't think Rage is junk overall, actually I don't believe any broadhead in today's market is junk. My very first post was highlighting the split love/hate for them that exists, primarily because of their heavy marketing (just like Mathews does for bows). "If" should have been there, made the assumption it would be assumed-shining example of why you shouldn't assume :D .

10. woodsy211

woodsy211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought in to the rage marketing, I shot them for 3 seasons and shot a handful of deer with them. From my experience, they usually have a pretty good sized hole on impact, but the exit hole is usually closed back up to about 3/4" . A buddy of mine had the same problem. Needless to say, I`m not using them this season and neither is he

11. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What are you shooting for bigger game?

Sent from my soup can and string

12. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Fair. Let's let the record also show I've only killed 2 doe in 3 years in my life all while using the Rage. 1 doe didn't bleed at all on a near perfect shot but we found her and second was a poor shot that actuall went dirctly through the neck.

So positive or negative I can't really speak toward the broad head as being good or bad, as mentioned I'm more subject to marketing and what my friends use as I have only been a bow hunter for this my 4th season.

13. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  14. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    this pretty much sums it up.......

600full-talladega-nights_-the-ballad-of-ricky-bobby-screenshot.jpg

15. bowhunterjohn

bowhunterjohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot a deer in the spine once with a muzzy 100 grain 3 blade, it bent it badly, broke 2 blades and did not penetrate very much

16. alexjoelslaydon

alexjoelslaydon Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I believe that any broadhead on the market, no matter how expensive, how wide the cutting diameter, or how thick the blades are THEY CAN AND HAVE HILLED NUMEROUS DEER!!! It all depends on shot placement. Im 12 and I know that, I mean they are all just tiny knives getting shoved through a deer, heck, if I shot a deer with a field point in the heart, I guarantee it would die within 30 min. I LOVE talking about them and hearing stories but I think I just needed to clear this up because I hear people say all the time "so and so broadhead is horrible" or "so and so broadhead is the best" they can all kill, it all depends on one thing, SHOT PLACEMENT. like or comment if you agree

17. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wait your 12 and have enough KE for the extremes! Damn what kind of poundage are you pulling a t 12? I shoot 63 and still don't think its enough for extremes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

18. alexjoelslaydon

Dislikes Received:
    57lb and im about to get a bowtech assassin with a 60lb draw weight. I just recently got the xtremes so I just need to get the bow in and im set. o and the tips are 125gr tips. I cant wait to see what they can do, and im even more exited about the bow.

19. alexjoelslaydon

Dislikes Received:
    i never think i have enough poundage so i just get set it at my maximum that i can shoot with good form and my bow is maxed out so im getting another one.

20. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Still that's a lot of blade to be launching

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD