Rage broadheads

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by alexjoelslaydon, Sep 24, 2013.

1. bowhunterjohn

bowhunterjohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    the new ring on the extreme and hypo's is awesome, no worries of o-ring issues. I learned to put the blade in, then roll the o-ring up, never had any issues after that.

But the new style is much better

2. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Used Rocky Mt Snypers, the prequel to the Rage head, devastating, zero failures... had a rubber band to keep them closed, compared to my Muzzy I'd used for 10 plus years... when it comes to failures with Rage, human operator error... use an O ring or equal and it'll be flawless as well. Human error... bowhuntings nemesis.

3. Stringstalker352

Stringstalker352 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I actually switched from spitfires to rage (may have been a defective pack) but all three spitfires i shot last year lost blades in flight and needless to say I missed the deer I will say before that pack I had never had a problem with spitfires.. But I popped a doe with a rage last tuesday evening and after seeing that hole and blood trail I dont know if I will ever switch back.

4. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am using nap kill zones this year

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

5. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There are as many horror stories about many other types of broadheads, not just Rages. Human error.

That being said, I prefer a good fixed blade head.

6. DD/MO

DD/MO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

7. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The rage head is marketed as a band-aid to knowing what it takes to tune your bow. Those that push a huge amount of KE from a very well tuned bow will do okay with them. Everyone else will cripple and maime. I have seen it first hand dozens of times. There is a very good reason that some states and many outfitters do not allow expandable broadheads. In my opinion, a fixed blade head will outperform a mechanical in the long run. Steep angles and contact with heavy bone is best left to a fixed blade head, period.

8. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've killed deer with 3-blade Bloodrunners, Killzones and Rage (both 2 and 3 blade). I am shooting the Rage Xtreme 2-blade 2.3 inch cutting diameter this year. I'm pulling #65 lbs @ 31.5 DL. I've killed one doe already this season with it and she barely ran 65 yards. Complete pass through and lung jelly. Worked fine for me. It's all about shot placement. I bought them because I believe they do serious damage to deer, not to try and expand my kill zone.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.skyangler.com

9. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Never had a problem with mine, just switched to the 125 grain chisel tips this year. JPT said it best you either like them or hate them. And there's problems with any product out there its all what you prefer.

10. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Fixed heads will never give you penetration problems. Fixed heads will never open at the wrong time. Fixed heads will never require a rubber band. Fixed heads will always kill your deer with decent shot placement. Fixed heads will likely survive a kill-shot and can be used again.

11. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    While I agree with most of this, contact with heavy bone is best left for a gun. I've personally punched through the scapula of big bucks with a Rage, and no one in their right mind will argue that ANY broad head is capable of punching through the knuckle of a front shoulder.

Both have their place in bowhunting. Out of a well tuned bow, I prefer mechs for deer. I like the bigger cutting diameter on an easily penetrated animal. It's personal preference unless you use a mechanical because fixed blades don't hit right, in which case you shouldn't be in the woods until they do.

12. alexjoelslaydon

alexjoelslaydon Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    thanks man.

13. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Guy I work with did this with a rage a few years back and has been selling me on them ever since. He ended up sending this exact piece to rage and they sent him a bunch of crap in return like targets and more broadheads.

tthh.jpg

14. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    OH MY WORD THEY RIP DEER INTO TWO PIECES!

They're junk.

They are so deadly the deer dies before impact.

They're junk.

The blades are soooooo sharp.

The blades are junk for durability.

The blood trail looked like something out of a horror movie.

They're junk.

Rage broadheads are marketed the best in the industry, so much so it gets obnoxious at times. I have no interest in them for reasons I'll hold to myself. I will merely state that for every single person who raves about them I know of another horror story about them...the key is to only listen to guys with real first hand experience. While every head out there has fans and anti's, Rage seems to have the largest of both pools...take that as you may.

Bottomline is this though: Every broadhead has, is and will continue to kill deer with ease and impressive blood trails if the hunter puts it where it needs to be.

15. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly not that impressive, a head shot within 40 yards of a deer should be able to blow through a spine not lodge in it....Was it a far off shot or very low poundage being pulled or arrow richochet prior to impact?

16. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Dr. Ed Ashby-Alaska Bowhunting--Not deer bones but Moose; slices through the shoulder ball/knuckle, scapula, femur.... and still gets 10+inches of pen to target. Fun to watch.

http://youtu.be/KrpfLol20_Y

17. No.6Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah wasn't really a lover post more of a "undecided" post. I believe he was about 35-40 yards away and the deer was walking straight away (Doe). I guess the part that was funny to me was how much stuff they sent him so they could have the spine with rage. Probably a big shots paper weight now.

18. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I just found it kinda hilarious that they obviously were impressed by the 2 inch penetration into the spine to send all the stuff... :D

19. No.6Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Buying Happy Customers Since Day One lol, We shall see I bought the Rage's to try them out, and I will try them until they fail me the first time. I remember buying Wasp Broadheads from Gander when I dropped my first deer!

20. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Or perhaps they just wanted to say thanks to a customer for taking the time to find the broadhead and clean it up and send it to them? Ever think of that? Perhaps it was just good customer service.

Look, you can hate the broadhead I and many others use all you want - heck I couldn't really care less which broadhead I use just as soon as I got one on the end of my arrow, I'm probably a subject of decent marketing and packaging - sad seeing as I work in marketing for a living.

Hate the broadheads, hate the company, hate the world if you wish - but don't belittle good customer service. They sent the dude some product, that was nice of them - they certainly didn't have to do that.

Ya'all can buy whatever broadheads you want - I am uneffected by which broadheads or bows other people use.