Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

raccoon meat

Discussion in 'Game Processing, Recipes & Cooking' started by Ben Hogg, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Ben Hogg

Ben Hogg Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have an old hunting book that talks about eating raccoon and how good the meat is. Google search brought up mixed results but does anybody here eat it? If so is it good?

2. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love it!!! Yes, cover it in an olive oil/ salsa/ canned tomato mixture with some garlic cloves to taste and cook at 350 in a covered roasting pan until fork tender. Separate the meat from the bone when done and serve with the sauce over rice. I like to toss in a jalapeno or two that are removed before serving. Coons are very low in fat, so make sure the meat is covered with the sauce and keep it covered while cooking.

3. RoyC

RoyC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It has been several years since I have eat it but it was good. Like muzzy said, we cooked it in the oven in a covered pan and made sure to keep it moist.

4. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Same recipe is also good for turtle and alligator. It is my quick version of a Sauce Piqante that you can order at cajun restaurants. Feel free to modify it to your own taste. The real recipe for sauce piqante can be googled but requires much more time to prepare. It is supposed to have rouxe (gravy) in it but I prefer to leave it out or stir it in separately. I don't need the extra calories.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  5. rcowan

rcowan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've never had it. I remember Dad talking about eating coon and possum before they left Kentucky. It seems to have been ok but beef and pork replaced it on the supper table.

RC

6. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's been a while, but I have eaten coon. We did it on the rotisserie over the BBQ grill. It is very dark meat, with good flavor. I'd recommend using farm country coons over coons that live near landfills tho. You are what you eat.

7. The Amatuer

The Amatuer Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Before cooking how can you tell if the animal is rabid or not? Beyond that I worked with a guy in Jacksonville Fl. from Georgia whose family owned a Barbecue Restaurant in Waycross GA.

Carlos had at least a 100 recipes for raccoons, and I swear if that was the only meat he could have he would eat only that.

8. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure there is a way of "knowing." If it is killed using normal hunting practices and is behaving like coons do, climbing trees and trying to get away from you, etc, I am thinking you are fine. Rabies takes several weeks of incubation and I think it takes a brain sample to know for certain. Of course you probably have an astronomically higher chance of being injured in an accident on your way to the woods.

9. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Take it to a processor.

I've got some racoons I'd like to get rid of and those recipes are making me hungry.