rabbit help

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by finlay smith, Apr 2, 2015.

1. finlay smith

finlay smith Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi everyone, I am new to this forum :)
    so anyway, couple months back I got my first bow, I am a 13 y/o boy. it was a 60 pound recurve and so far it's been great. moving on to the important bit I need some help with rabbits. we live on a 40 acre property and I really want to get into rabbit hunting as I can hit a shoe box target from 30+ meters no sight. I have been out lots at different times but I have not seen a single rabbit. I live in Victoria on a hilly piece of land and have been out at many different times of the day. we have heaps of deer, birdlife and kangaroos though. any tips on finding some pesky rabbits to nab?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  2. r0scoe

r0scoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Call Elmer Fudd

3. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Kick the thick stuff where they hide and jump em out. Works better with a shotgun. 60# is pretty hefty for a young fellow.

4. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    carrots... you need lots of carrots lol

5. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do not hunt rabbits so I can not say for sure. But there are rabbits in my yard every night within the last hour before sunset. My suggestion would be to hunt in the evening. Figure out what the rabbits in your area eat and be there close to dark. Good Luck!

6. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    look for rabbit droppings to find where they are hanging out. then get after them.

7. Rogue6

Rogue6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Best time in my area other than at night to look for them is to get out just as the sun is coming up they will be looking for a spot to bed up for the day , just walk slowly down game trails and try to stay quiet with your steps, keep your eyes out for any movement if you do jump one don't take out after it right away, a lot of times they will run just a few yards and stop thinking you can't see them. Good luck they are fun to hunt and mighty tasty too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Kick them out of their beds by walking through some brush where you see dropping and tracks. Like mentioned before they usually only run a little ways then sit still. I've got a few with a bow, just don't shoot the legs where the good meat is!

9. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Only gotten one with a recurve and that was in my backyard when I was shooting. Just dumb luck he walked out when I was zipping arrows into a target trying to practice my primitive skills lol. Little bugger let me sling 3 arrows at him though....3rd time was a charm! Otherwise it's like said here...push the thick stuff and kick them up good luck!!!

My buddy has property in NH and its LOADED with them, so the 410 AR comes in handy! Here is one he got a few weeks ago, I need to get up there soon and bring home some rabbit back home and help him out with the Yotes!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  10. finlay smith

finlay smith Newb

Dislikes Received:
    hahaha thanks guys for your help, yeah it is a fairly heavy now and was a bit much at the start but I built up quickly. I have had a look around at all times of the day, from twilight to 9 at night with a spotlight to 5/6 in the morning and then just generally in the daytime. I am not even sure we have any! I found a few holes but there are no droppings around it. it's a very bushy property. is it likely I will find any and do you guys have any tips on spotlighting?[​IMG]
    here's my bow with the silences on it.

11. finlay smith

finlay smith Newb

Dislikes Received:
    also, what's the best time of year to hunt em?

12. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know how it is there but in Kentucky rabbit season comes in for a few months in the winter. Not allowed to hunt them outside of that. Also not allowed to use spotlights except for a few months and only for coyotes. I would check your game laws before slinging arrows at any critters day or night.

Rabbits are active at night but not sure how you'd shine a light and shoot a bow at the same time, provided its legal.

Any resin you want to hunt rabbits in particular? Sounds like you've got other game to pursue.

Wonder what's kangaroo would taste like with some sweet baby rays bbq sauce?

13. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    From my experience, rabbits like most animals are creatures of habit. On one of my deer stands, there is a rabbit that comes by at the same time every single day. They are most active about an hour before dark, or as the sun is coming up, as they hide from predators during the day. so try finding some sign such as trails and walk around or set up if you want to ambush them in the morning or evening.

14. Rogue6

Rogue6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Judging from you first post I'm guessing your from Australia, mainly because you mentioned kangaroos, you don't see them running wild in the U.S.
    Like stated above be sure your local game laws allow night hunting before you proceed with it and also make sure you are within any seasonal regulations. I'd be more than willing to share night hunting tips if I knew more about your laws there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here in Iowa you can hunt them anytime anyway as long as they are a nuisance

16. NantucketShedHunter

NantucketShedHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Get a couple of beagles. When chased, rabbits always run in a big circle returning to exactly the same spot they started from.

17. finlay smith

finlay smith Newb

Dislikes Received:
    yes, I live in Australia. so I checked out the laws, and it says that you can hunt them whenever, with small game heads. it doesn't say anything about not spotlighting either so it looks like I am ok there. I want to hunt rabbit because I want to cut my teeth on something, before I jump straight up to deer and larger game. it is however, illegal to shoot kangaroo, which is a shame because they are tasty creatures and are pests, great at destroying our fences :/ we have two dogs that are a lot like border collies called aussie shepherds and as the name suggests they are sheep dogs. would they work for this purpose? they love chasing deer and roo's.

18. finlay smith

finlay smith Newb

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

19. finlay smith

finlay smith Newb

Dislikes Received:
    sooo, does anyone have anything else for me?

20. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What else do you need?

If you're confident in your shooting ability, get out there and give it a go.