R100 questions

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jrk_indle84, Apr 10, 2019.

1. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Idk if this is right place to put this but whatever.

So I just found out they're having in3e of these 3d shoots like 30 mins from home so was gonna make a plan to try and go.

So what should somebody expect goin to the first one or anybody have any suggestions? I'm definitely not serious enough to worry bout scores, just looking to have a fun weekend.

For anyone wondering the one I'm talking about is April 27th and 28th in Palmyra, MO.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was going to ask if you wanted to carpool but then I realized it's right next door to you.
    I haven't done the R100 yet but I did do the TAC last year and had a blast.
    Me and my hunting buddy ended up falling in and shooting with a father/son team (kid was in college) and they were really nice guys. The kid was some sort of indoor semi-pro (sponsored) and he and I shot neck and neck in the hardest "Prime" class (targets 40-125 yards.) From what I can tell, the TAC is MUCH more challenging than the R100. I'm sure at 30 yards indoors the kid would have shot my nocks off; but I shoot long distances a lot so it was more to my experience.

Everyone seemed pretty laid back, with the exception of some real hard-core guys shooting tapered shafts, etc. Those guys weren't there for the comraderie they were there for the competition.

Regarding the R100 specifically- I can't think of any "tips" specifically other than to get comfortable shooting out to 60 yards. The longest range on the R100 is the Open class at 50 yards. If you're comfortable out to 60 then 50 should be no problem. They also have a Hunter class that max range is 40 (so comfortable at 50 and you will be fine.) All ranges are known and rangers are allowed.

-EDIT-
    perusing the R100 website, I just saw the following: "Yardage Exception: New for 2019, host clubs will have the option to set the following targets out to a maximum of 80 yards for the Open classes and 55 yards for the Hunter classes."

So plan accordingly. If I had to guess you could step up and shoot from a closer stake if 80 is outside your skill/equipment range.

I'd like to go to the Palmyra shoot but I haven't even picked up my bow since the first week of January. If I can get out this weekend to the "local" range and fling a few I'll let you know Monday.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    jrk_indle84 likes this.
  3. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had a blast at the one in Wabash, IN last year. Expect to wait at targets if you get behind big groups. I wish I would’ve known there was camping at the venue I went to. We could’ve saved some money instead of getting a hotel room.

4. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot the R100 twice when it has come around. I have done the North American and African courses, which are both great. I went with a few friends and we had a blast, shooting competitively between just us. It is well run and there are some really neat targets!

5. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just prepare yourself for a good time. Know and expect in advance for the possibility of waiting around at times to shoot. The courses always flow smoothly except for some log jams at the stations that they have you shooting two targets from the same spot. This is where you will encounter down time. Seems to be 4 or 5 of these stations every year.

The African Safari course is much busier than the North American course, so expect that. The African Safari course is also by far and away the most fun you will ever have shooting 50 arrows.

It is a known yardage shoot as stated above. They used to mark each stake with the yardage but they do not do that anymore. If you do not have a rangefinder and want to shoot the course with known yardage they have flyers with the yardage listed at the clubhouse.

Take a couple bottles of water and a protein bar to eat with you incase you get hungry on the course. Just like anything else you will perform better when you are hydrated and not hungry. They do have coolers around the course where you can leave a dollar in a jar to buy a water etc. So packing water isnt a necessity if you take a few bucks with you.

I have never shot all 100 the same day, I have split it 50 on Saturday and 50 on Sunday each time. Luckily, we have had great weather every year. You could probably do all 100 in one day, but I would not want to.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

cml5895 likes this.
  6. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Was the TAC everything its cracked up to be?? Going for the first time this year in SD, everything I see makes it look like a blast and I def like being in the mountains better than the flat boring 3D courses we have in Central IA

7. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here is some pics...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

dnoodles likes this.
  8. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    More....[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    More..
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

SouthDakotaHunter likes this.
  10. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am going to shoot the R100 for the first time in May when it comes to Arkansas. Really looking forward to it.

11. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck with the tournaments. Loads of fun. People will be helpful at your first shoot and will make sure you have a good time. I shot club shoots about 40 years ago when we only had bullseye and animal targets on paper. I have gone through the Lancaster Archery Supply catalogue. Someone has a ton of $$$$ tied up in those 3-D targets! Bigfoot would buy me a new deck!

12. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Ha yea I'm gonna haveta dust off the bow myself before go. And yea definitely let me know if you make trip, if nothing else could meet up somewhere.

13. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info guys. Guessing from the sound of it should be fun. I've been looking more on website and looks like the schedule is pretty full of stuff to do all weekend. I'd like to make both days but haveta see how that works. So since sounds like doin both courses in a day sounds little over reaching if you only did one, which one would you pick?

Gonna try and get some buddies together to all go but if anyone else goes hit me up. Maybe can work something out and meet up. Or if need help with finding anything in area I might be able to help.

14. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    100% with out a doubt the African Safari. That's where all of the 20 plus foot tall targets, the dinosaurs, yeti etc are.

cantexian likes this.
  15. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Good to know. I will probably only have time for one course when it comes around my way. Thanks.

16. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Its definitely worth clearing your calender for the weekend. I like to shoot the North American course the first day and the African Safari the second day. The North American course has many more small targets than the African Safari. One of the North American targets is an apple on a bucks nose (pictured above in my photos). Try shooting that apple, or a rabbits tiny 12 ring at 30+ yards after you have been shooting giant targets like the yeti, hippo, elephant, giraffe, cape buffalo, T-rex etc. The African Safari does have some smaller ringed targets like the pink flamingo and poison frogs too though. Just not near as many smaller targets as the North American course does.

If you do not shoot for score, it wouldn't really matter which order you shoot them in though. My crew keeps score :)

dnoodles and jrk_indle84 like this.
  17. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    My Saturday morning is already booked doing an annual fundraising walk for a non-profit that helped us adopt one of our sons. Otherwise, I would shoot both on Saturday. I will probably just do the African course since the targets will be the most different from my local club shoots.

buckeye likes this.
  18. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Good to know. Looks like that'll be what i do then if can only make one day. Looks like better start practicing some so don't completely embarrass myself ha. Don't shoot near as much as should during the summer being busy with work but it's like riding a bicycle right? Lol

Guess only other thing would be curious about os it easier to register a head or just show up. Know it's little cheaper ahead of time but not real big difference if remember.

19. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There is two lines, one if you preregistered (where you just walk up and grab your pre printed out score cards) and the other. You dont want to be in the other.

jrk_indle84 likes this.
  20. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    looks like you and I should shoot for stakes...:bow: