"Little Things" in life that matter

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by sethf11, Sep 1, 2016.

1. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    "Little Things" in life that matter

I stopped today to see the farmer who owns the 650 acre farm that I hunt. He was a total stranger this time last year. I knocked on his door, introduced myself and talked with him for a good 20 minutes back then. I left that day with permission to hunt his farm. He told me to stay out of the way, be safe and enjoy it. I harvested a 5 pointer off his land last year which I shared some meat with him. When j shared it with him I talked for a good 45 minutes and he told me "you have full use of the land and go and do wherever you please".

I was able to kill a turkey this past spring as well. Over X-mas I had sent him a thank you note and a $20 gift card for a local convenient store.

I stopped to see him again today and I brought him a nice Venison roast and a big wild turkey breast along with another $20 gift card.

His facelift right up. We talked for a good half hour and during the conversation he said to me "if you are asking to hunt here again this year...you got it, do whatever you want".

I have been scouting and running cameras all summer and planned to hunt his land again. But not only did I make his day stopping to show my appreciation but boy did he make my day.

Felt good to give back and to give some thanks. It was a totally unannounced visit and I'm sure it surprised him like you wouldn't believe.

It felt really good to do the right thing. It's those "little things" in life that make all the difference.

What was a perfect stranger now trusts me and has become a friend and given me the ultimate gift as a hunter.

As an added extra he said "check that field of alfalfa over that way, I see 4 deer out feeding on the treelike every evening and stop back when the corn is down, I'll let you know where they seem to be".

But thinking back and reflecting on this "little thing" that I did for him, it's surprising what simple things mean to others and I sure will enjoy being out on his land this season.

Hopefully this is some good karma and I can line this guy up this year that I have on camera at his farm.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  2. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good deal Seth.

3. takemrarely

takemrarely Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Guard that relationship with all you got.....like finding a magic lamp......

4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice.

"What goes around..... comes around."