quickest/easiest way to get up a tree?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by AFoster, May 16, 2011.

1. AFoster

AFoster Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What would you guys suggest as the easiest and quickest way to get up a tree, on public ground that is a long walk into the woods.

i have a lone wolf climber, but sometimes it can be a hassle to strap it on, and have to have a fanny pack, and bow, then walk a mile or more, unstrap everything get it on the tree, and get set up.

is the climber the best way to go for my circumstances? dont really want to spend big bucks on an ultralight hang on, but i could build a decent one, then use rope on steps? are they any good? easy to put up and go?

2. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good question. I have nothing to add of any value, but I would like to subscribe...

3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    The quickest, easiest and most importantly the safest way to get up a tree is to either use a climbing stand like you're doing now, or a lightweight set of climbing sticks and hang-on stand.

I can guarantee you that making a stand yourself isn't going to be advantageous when it comes to being light weight, easy to hang, or safe.

I know it's expensive but the most versatile and effective method to acheive your goal is with a Lone Wolf hang-on and climbing sticks. Take it from all of the guys here who have tried otherwise.

4. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ++1

90% of the time I use the LW hang on and 4 sticks. Some of my public land spots are 1 mile in easily. The shortest public land walk I have is more than 1/2 a mile. I hunt public land 85% of the time. Nothing I do when hunting is what I consider a hassle ;) .

5. AFoster

AFoster Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    if that is the only conclusion i can get, i think i will just stick with my LW sit and climb, not the best stand but, it is expensive, and unless i can straight trade it for a LW hang on, then i wont switch.
    is there a big advantage of using the hang on versus the climber? as far as packability, weight, comfort etc.

6. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I also have a LW hand climber and it beats the hang on and sticks hands down for packability and weight but I trade those advantages, most of the time, for the verstility I get with the hang on and sticks. I can get into any tree with my hang on and sticks, with the climber I have to use climber trees.

7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    The biggest advantage a good stand and set of climbing sticks has over a climber is the versatility. You can get into a lot of trees you can't get into with a climber.

As for weight/packability - the climber is actually better. An Alpha II Hang-On w/4 sticks weighs in at about 24 lbs. An Alpha Hand-Climber is 17.5 lbs and a Sit & Climb is 20 lbs.

8. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    these guys have done a great job already with their answers. im just another band wagon Lone Wolf guy on a budget. and i'll say it has been the best stand for me. one thing you might think of on public land would be if you wanted to keep your stand out for a few days in a row.....
    get a lock (for the stand) along with the climbing sticks (i use 4) and take down your last two/three on your way out of the woods. then when you come back the next day all you have to hang is your sticks. trust me with the EZ hang system the stand isnt that bad either but you will work up a bit of a lather..... on a chilly day without an extra base layer to switch out you might freeze.

number one thing is to stay SAFE, live to hunt another day!

9. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A climber vs. hang on really depends on your environment.
    A climber is pain in the butt on my land because all my trees have huge branches at least 10 feet up.
    However, my uncle's land has trees that are very tall, straight up, and have basically no branches until the canopy... Awesome climber material.

10. AFoster

AFoster Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    well sounds like ill just stick with my sit and climb. i wish it was a little more comfortable.
    it seems like just about any tree around here, that is big enough to put a stand on is also suitable for a climber, not many trees that i cant climb.

11. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Like most of these guys who're hardcore enough to hang around a bowhunting forum year-round, I put a LOT of time in during season and have tried about everything imagineable. Here's my two cents:

The ABSOLUTE lightest and most-packable way to go in deep and get in any tree is to take 9 or 11 Cranford EZ-screw screw-in folding steps and a light hang-on stand. Bar none, that method can't be touched for going in light. Problem is, many public lands won't allow damage to trees, so...

The next-best lightweight and EASIEST way to get up a tree is with a Lone Wolf Alpha hand climber. As has been mentioned though, you may be limited in your setup options by the trees themselves.

If I know I'm going to be going into a knarly area (treewise) and can't use screw-in steps, I'll take my LW Alpha Hang-On and four LW climbing sticks. This is actually MY least-preferred method though due to the weight and bulk of the ensemble. However, it's often the best alternative when considering area regulations if you're on public land and you may be presented with not-so-straight trees.

12. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Since you said Public Ground i think the climber is the only way to go because you take it in with you and you take it with you when you leave, otherwise someone is most likely going to help themselves to your hard earned gear and it's so easy to move if someone has the same spot picked out when you get there.. happened to me all the time before i got my own ground. just my 2 cents.
    Best of luck to you.

13. quiksilver

quiksilver Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    FWIW - Summit makes a climber called the "OpenShot" that's lighter than anything in the LoneWolf lineup, weighing in at LoggyBayou-esque 15 pounds. It doesn't look very spacious, and the seat isn't the most luxurious thing to come down the pike, but if you like the idea of traveling light, and you don't mind sacrificing a little bit in the comfort department, it might be worth a look.

It stickers on their site for $219.00, which is still more than I'd want to pay, but it's getting close to being a reasonable price.

[​IMG]

14. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
  15. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Get a lightweight climbing stand.

16. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  17. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty sure they aren't kosher for public land and they look like they would be a pain to make the transfer from the tree to the stand.

18. AFoster

AFoster Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    so many options, my thoughts on the climbing belt and spikes, is that they probably would be a pain to put on to climb, take off to get in the stand, but it may be less of a pain than a climber?

thoughts on a lightweight climber, i would rather get a more comfortable climber than the sit and climb i have now. and the only way ill be getting a new climber is if i can sell my sit and climb for some decent money. theres no way i can buy another $200 plus stand unless the one i have now sells for around $200.

also i kind of want to stay away from the assault hang on just because it seems bulky, and most the trees in my area permit the use of a climber. the closest thing to a hang on i would try is a light hang on with the steps that are like the screw in steps but use a rope or strap to attach them.

Guess ill have to start researching on light weight yet comfortable stands, that are decent priced.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  19. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Lightweight climbing stands are the easiest thing in the world to walk in and hunt from anywhere. I routinely walk in a good 3/4th mile to a mile and have no problem setting up in under 10 minutes in the complete darkness.

20. ngabowhunter

ngabowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I also make the mile trip on public land, first I put my viper on my back with my fanny pack in the seat of it. Then I hang my bow around my neck and it lays nicely on my arms as I peddle my mountain bike down the loggin road. A lot of our loggin roads are closed during the archery season. They will open them on a managed gun hunt. I'm 50 now and been bikeing in there for 12 years. If I kill a deer I have to go back and get the cart out of the truck. and walk back. life is good