questions????????

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by bloodcrick, Jul 30, 2008.

1. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Ok the cats out of the bag :d I have been shooting my recurve lately for the first time in over 20 years :confused: The plan is to possably take a Doe with it at CLOSE range to fill a void that was never full filled in my youth. I had always shot it with index finger above the knock and two fingers below the knock. Is it better shooting three fingers below the knock?? Is it acceptable in the trad world to use a tied string knock vs the brass ones? Right now it has those no glove rubber things on it but there comming off, id rather use the glove. Its been a very long time boys since i have done this, any tips are greatly appreciated.

2. Txjourneyman

Txjourneyman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot split finger. I have tried 3 under and just couldn't get comfortable with it. Honestly I didn't give it much of a chance. 3 under gets the arrow closer to your eye. Some people like this as an aid to aiming. As far as a string nock point goes I don't see why it wouldn't work. I use brass just because I can move it easily if the need arises. So far I haven't had the need to although I'm using a dacron string and it is subject to stretch. When it does I'll put a few twists in it and may then have to move the nock.

3. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I myself shoot 3 fingers under and enjoy it much more then the other way. It seems I get allot less finger pinch shooting 3 fingers under thus resulting in a better release for me. There is no set way, whatever works for ya whether its 3 finger under or split finger, it really doesn't matter. Being you haven't tried 3 fingers under before it wouldn't hurt to give it a try, some people like it and some people don't. As for the nock thing on the string, who really cares what you use as long as it works correctly also. I myself use a crimped brass nock, its easy to move if I were to have to move it up or down.

Good luck and have fun with her Dan!!!

4. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome Dan,
    I shoot split. It's how I started way back in the day. When I returned to trad shooting, I tried 3 under for a solid year, and never made it work to my comfort. Been back to split and plan to stay there.
    I use a tied in nock, you can twist it up & down if you need it adjusted.

You will find that SOOO much is personal preference. Which is good and bad. Good, because you can make so many different things work. Bad, because you can make so many different things work. Its not like you set things up with X-Y-Z plans and go. Its all so fluid.

5. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You couldn't of said it any better Rybo!

6. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks a million guys :hail: Sounds like im just going to experiment to see what jives with my style. I forgot how much fun this was. Its flooding alot of memories from my youth back to me. Im thankful my Dad hung on to my first two recurves all these years and recently handed them back to me. One thing i see im really going to address is to see if i can shoot it out of my climber with the front rail. Or just use it from lock on stands only. Only trying will tell me this. Thanks again guys,, hugs from the Dink :d Well maby not. :deer:

7. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome back to Traditional! I fairly new and I love the whole style of it! From making woodies to cutting my own finger tabs! I have only shot 3 under, I tried to shoot split but could do it! When I shot a recurve back when I was young I shot split but can't get the hang of it anymore! I also use a brass nock but recently picked up a custom string from a fellow on Tradgang.com and he sent along a piece for tying the nock in, we'll see how that goes! Like other have said it all personal preference! being new for me it has been pretty interesting and frustrating all the same! I tell ya it sure does feel good when I get it right and find what I like, until I start tinkering around again! I need to learn to leave well enough alone! Have fun, thats the most important part!