Questions on crossbows

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by fshafly2, Sep 12, 2016.

1. fshafly2

fshafly2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I do research on bowhunter performance and have published on the effectiveness of compound and crossbow users. I have lots of unpublished data, but before I go further, I need to be smarter. My knowledge of crossbows is woefully lacking. Please educate me: what does it take to tune a crossbow. I can understand spinning a broadhead to get it to fly consistently, but do not know if you guys are worried about spine or do paper testing. Is there much difference between "experienced" and "novice" crossbowers? Any other comments are appreciated!

-fsh

2. Brian Todd

Brian Todd Newb

Dislikes Received:
    For most crossbows there is not much you can do to adjust its settings. The best you can do is to make sure the crossbow is in a proper condition. Check out the tiller and you can adjust the brace height.
    Well there is a lot to write when it comes to crossbows. If you want to learn more you can check out my blog I tried to create an overview for the most important things people need to know.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  3. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Most just buy the xbow and screw on some tips and let fly. They adjust the scope and soon head to the woods. Mostly the xbow it's self can be timed and small adjustments but there is little most can do to improve how it shoots. The bolts do have spine and you can change bolts and point weight to make improvements in groups and performance. Sadly though they just listen to some sales pitch or choose what is most popular at the time. Since xbows come from the factory well set up and you as the shooter impart little (draw weight, draw length, grip, ect...) to change how the bow preforms it goes pretty good. Most xbows will shoot better with heavier broadheads and bolts and spine can change a 3 inch group at 40 yards to not being able to aim at the same place twice without busting bolts.
    I have used a xbow since the "70's" and like most things archery they have really changed. I hunt with a recurve, compound and xbow during the season and each has their advantage and disadvantages but you still have to hunt to hang horns on the wall.