Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Questions about shed hunting

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by jdweim, Oct 17, 2011.

1. jdweim

jdweim Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have never shed hunted before...thinking about doing this for the first time in Feb./Mar. of 2012. MY questions are is this right time to be shed hunting and I do not think anybody ever shed hunts our property, so should I expect to see sheds from many years past?

2. MadMan

MadMan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    First off where are you located? Yes you can find sheds from years past it just depends on what kind of terrain you'll be looking in. If there is an excessive amount the squirrels and rodents chances of finding old sheds diminishes greatly.

3. DrawBackBowhunting

DrawBackBowhunting Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Man I'll tell you this... Shed hunting is a blast!!! Started it 3 years ago,
    And I'm not sure what the heck took to long to start. The first year I looked and only found one. You'll look for hours and get frustrated because you're not finding any, but after the first couple it seems like a switch went on and you'll start finding them. In Illinois I start looking hard around Valentines day. I'd say that's when the majority of bucks drop, but I have seen some carry them till March. Hit the food sources and bedding areas hard. Also I've found a lot by fences, where the jump over. I seriously get pumped about shed hunting before my hunting seasons even over... Good luck to you, and enjoy another obsession!

4. jdweim

jdweim Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am located in northeastern WI. and we do have tons of squirrels and mice on our land

and thanks for the info Drawbackbowhunting

5. MadMan

MadMan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Late Feb into Mar. is the perfect time to start looking then. I used to look atlot in feb to get to them before they get chewed on, just sucked walking through lots of snow. I always looked early in areas where I knew my chances of bumping deer where low since thats usally the most stressful time of year for them. What kinda cover does your land have? Food sources are always good to search early on and any other kind of open terrrian. Open terrian is where sheds found will moslty be untouched since the rodents run risk of getting picked of by predators. What county you in? I'm in Fond du lac

6. midwestshedhunters

midwestshedhunters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I start looking when the new year starts, its not uncommon to find the Big Ones early. I've picked freshly shed antlers in Jan.
    Good Luck.

7. jdweim

jdweim Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am in marinette county, and we have quite a variety of cover, oaks, pines, swampy, marshy, popples, fields. I am on a 120 acre parcel, but share it with several others and it is family owned land.