question

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by scottcameron, Aug 31, 2015.

1. scottcameron

scottcameron Newb

Dislikes Received:
    what i the maximum yards i should shoot at/ i have a mathews reezen 6.5 28 inch draw and 70 pound weight 340 grain arrows?

2. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's not a question someone can answer for you. Only you can decide what your maximum is. With time and practice you will be able to shoot further distances.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3. ruteger

ruteger Guest

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's a tough question for anyone but you to answer. I would say most people limit themselves to about 30-35 yards with a bow. Some more, some less. That all depends on your ability and the conditions. I can hit my target within a 3" circle all day long at 60 yards, but I wouldn't attempt that distance on a live target. There are too many variable that can change with a target that can see, hear and move compared to a stationary target. Not to mention the rush of adrenaline and nervousness that can come in to play when you are trying to make a shot that counts.

5. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think you mean 340 spine arrow. Not grain. If your arrow truely weighs 340 grains you are risking damage with such a light arrow. 5 grains per pound is minimum.

6. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't recommend you shoot a deer past 30 yards unless you're 100% sure you can put a good shot on it.

7. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Find an open field, aim at a 45 degree angle towards the sky, and let one go. Should go a long ways.

8. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you have to ask...I say 10 yards. Just joking...well maybe.

Each person has different capabilities...the bow itself plays a small part in how lethal a hunter is.

9. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    <div id="fb-root"></div><script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v2.3"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script><div class="fb-video" data-allowfullscreen="1" data-href="https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152953462602735"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><blockquote cite="https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152953462602735"><a href="https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152953462602735">Michael Waddell on Ethical Distance</a><p>Controversy: How far is too far? Michael Waddell's Bone Collector chimes in on ethical shooting distance. Think he's right? #GetSeriousGetHoyt #TeamHoyt</p>Posted by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/HoytBowhunting">Hoyt Archery: Maker of the World's Best Bows</a> on Friday, August 28, 2015</blockquote></div></div>

Michael Waddel on max distance

10. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    well that didn't work... try this https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152953462602735

11. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the Forum Scottcameron!

In answer to your question only you can decide what your max shooting should be(I will assume we are talking about shooting at live animals since this is a bowhunting thread) We can only give you tips and general rules regarding ethical shots.

If you feel confident at 30 yards, and can shoot a solid group consistently then your max range should be 30 yards. If you can shoot consistently at 15 yards and no farther then your max shot should be 15 yards, You owe it to the animal to make a clean shot.

With that said, I find it very helpful to shoot at 40 or 50 yards (occasionally, make sure to practice at the range you plan on shooting a deer at as well)
    It helps me develop better technique and consistency while shooting, Plus once you are used to shooting 40-50 yards, making 20 yard shots seem like a piece of cake (on the range at least I would dare to say that taking your first shot at a deer is hard no matter the range)

12. Arrow+Assassin

Arrow+Assassin Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Keep it to 25, regardless of your groups until you get a feel for how quickly an alert deer can duck an arrow. I missed the biggest buck to date in 2012 at a mere 32 yards! Granted I judged him at 40 but the buck still sank a full 8" down before my arrow reached him. I went from a high lung shot to a clean miss. So until you can "learn" to mentally compensate for where a deer will be when your arrow reaches him I say stick to 25-30 yards on calm, relaxed deer.

Everyone seems to get so fixated on groups, when the reality is you can shoot awesome groups but make marginal shots out to 40-50-60 yards and it's because the shooter underestimated the animals ability to move in that 1/10 a second it took for the arrow to reach it's quarry.

I hope this helps, the best advice I can give is to really take note at how much deer jump the string on hunting shows and YouTube videos. Note how alert or relaxed they are and the yardage and go from there. This will give you a good start, but when in doubt aim for the heart!

Good luck getting after em'!