Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Question.....

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by dawg007, Dec 29, 2010.

1. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How do all of you carry out your shed antlers? I want to get a system that can hold a bundle of them even though I dont find a lot in one day!

2. Krohboy

Krohboy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just carry a small backpack. I keep water and snacks in there as well.

3. Reese

Reese Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a hydration pack along with a length of pull rope and a handfull of zipties. Zip tie them to the rope and then to the pack. Hope that helps ya dawg

4. Outdrdave

Outdrdave Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a 6' section of rope. Keep another in my vest incase the first one gets lost or full. I wear a turkey hunting vest to keep all my nic nacs in and to put smaller sheds in.

[​IMG]

5. kansasjosh

kansasjosh Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good tips^^^
    I got one of these small packs last winter and I love it. Works great for bowhunting as well but I always have it when shedding. You can easily put 5-6 horns in the little flap that comes out of the bottom and if you had a great day and found more you could tie them on to the straps above the pack. Big enough to carry gear and water, etc. but small enough to not weigh you down a ton. Several companies make similar ones.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-All-Day-Transporter-Fanny-Pack/747038.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D1100002%26Ne%3D1100002%26No%3D40%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dpack%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchall%26WTz_st%3DSearchRefinements%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26search%3Dpack&Ntt=pack

6. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I make him carry them !! He finds most of them anyways. :lol:

[​IMG]

We usually will end up back at the truck before we find too many so we just carry them. Two guys can carry a lot of sheds. Shove the little ones in our pockets.

I don't want to wear a back pack. A guy tends to throw too much stuff in it that is not needed. Travel light since we can get miles away from the truck. Rope is a pain but I have used one in the past. I would go that route instead of a pack.

Binocs, cell phone, small camera and a bottle of water is all we carry. Work it so we can get back to the truck for lunch.

Tim

7. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lol...I usually don't find more than I can carry out. :D

8. Dickie Tunes

Dickie Tunes Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dawg, i usually bring a wheel barrel because i find so many big sheds, lol.... No seriously a cabelas backpack with a fold out back pocket works great they run about a hundred bucks with a hydration pouch.

9. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    More sheds in his hands than i've seen in my 15+ years of tromping around in the vermont woods... we dont exactly have a deer herd that makes you excited to shed hunt, but i have found a couple little fork horns over the last few years.

10. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Over 12 years of shed hunting I have like 140 or so. I would have to get out my log to see for sure. I keep track of all the sheds that I find and have started to make a photo book with ATL pictures and pictures of them at home.

11. Dickie Tunes

Dickie Tunes Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thats an average of 11.666 sheds a year, dawg you better come up north by me. So we can increase those numbers for you dude!!!

12. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would enjoy a trip to go with you but only one problem! If I find your moster one dont hate me!

13. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    you guys make me so jealous, its so hard to get motivated to go look for sheds around here. Been looking to buy or lease some land in Ohio, mainly because it has good hunting and its not ridiculously far from Vermont. So maybe i'll have a reason to shed hunt some day!