Question of Rests

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by afishhunter, Oct 28, 2018.

1. afishhunter

afishhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Whisker Biscuit or a Dropaway Rest?
    That is the question.

I am mainly interested in hunting.
    I have less than zero desire to make a colossal fool of myself by entering any shooting competitions. I'm not greedy. I'll let others claim last place.

I know that a dropaway rest allegedly may give a slight increase in arrow speed (1.5 to 3 FPS, from what I've read online; not enough to make a practical difference to game critters.)
    As for the potential for improved accuracy, that is easily negated by a mistimed micro twitch, or a slight change in wind speed.

I'm trying a Dropaway this week, but I'm not sure yet if I'll keep it or go back to the whisker biscuit.

2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    no matter what anyone says, the difference in accuracy and speed is negligible. I shoot a QAD drop away and love it. But I shot a WB before and was not any less accurate out to say 50 yards. My biggest complaint about WBs is when they get wet and then freeze.

afishhunter likes this.
  3. wildernessninja

wildernessninja Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot well when i had my whisker biscuit on. Had a rip cord on a few years now and i shot pretty much the same. Both need to be maintained. Whiskers wear out , and need to be replaced. I’ve changed felt and cord on my ripcord to. If my bow allowed me to shot with my cock vane straight up i will probably still have a whisker biscuit on. It just simpler. I do love my adjustability of my rip cord and there customer service.

4. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I still used a NAP Quicktune 3000 (2 prong style) forever so whatever you're comfortable with should be the deciding factor.

5. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know im in the minority but i shot significantly briery when i switched to a drop away. My groups tightened way up especially at distance. It certainly could have been other factors, but i always attributed it to the rest. I'll be the first to admit it might be mental, but that's enough for me. I also just don't see how that much contact doesn't change impact, although I've seen plenty of shooters using one well

Sent from my SM-G930P using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

6. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is why I switched to a drop away. I didn't notice any difference until I started shooting past 35 yards. My groups went from being 5-6 inches with a 2 prong and WB to stacked inside 2-3 inches tight with a drop away. More of a confidence thing for me knowing I can hit a quarter from 10 yrds. out to 60 yrds., especially when I'm on a 3-D range.

Kfili likes this.
  7. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Never shot a WB, never will. Too many things can affect the way the rest controls the arrow. The arrow is in constant contact with the rest for the entire length versus a very short contact point with a drop.
    I went with the NAP Apache Carbon and couldn’t be happier.

foodplot19 likes this.
  8. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have never shot WB either. I like the drop away the best. IMO less contact means less can go wrong.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

Kfili likes this.
  9. dbow

dbow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    love those rests did shoot them for quite a while. Now shooting a G5 archery expert II. Anyway, nothing wrong with the WB. It is a great rest!!

Chipper Cooper and WV Jess like this.
  10. ThrustWasher

ThrustWasher Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Whisker biscuits can cause accuracy issues to shooters with subpar form or guys who like to drop their bow immediately after the shot as the arrow is in contact with the rest the entire powerstroke! If you have solid form then both rests do their jobs good!