Question from a landowner to me...

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by tc3144, Jan 17, 2013.

1. tc3144

tc3144 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok...I am looking to work out an agreement with a landowner for a lease. With the lease I am helping the landowner manage his property and maintain it. He posed a question to me today about posting signs that say either no trespassing or no hunting. Do you all have any suggestions about what kind of signs to get or where to purchase them? I've seen a few at the local hardware store but they didn't have any no hunting signs. I'm trying to cover my basis and do all I can for the property owner to help ensure a good relationship and line out my lease. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. CDK86

CDK86 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Depending on location if you find any sign company they will make a custom one saying whatever you would like. Depending on where you are I know of a few.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  3. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    With the land owners permission I post or repost all my private ground including blue oil based paint on trees. I buy my signs at the home depot.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

4. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is a great suggestion. I do the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Signs can be removed / destroyed. Here in Kansas we paint tree trunks or fence posts purple as it is the universal color for no hunting/trespassing. Whatever route you take I wouldn’t advertise it is leased land or someone could come in and buy it out from under you.

6. austin97

austin97 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    same in Illinois we can paint our trees purple and that acts as a no trespassing sign. might check with your state and see what they have for posting properties is.

7. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    In order to illegally hunt the property they have already committed trespassing, No Trespassing signs is the better route between the two I would think. I also like the painting of the trees idea...we're gonna have to do that one!

8. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is what I do. I like to do one every couple hundred yards around the property.

9. GTMemphis

GTMemphis Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The best signs I have found are from Vos Signs. http://www.vosssigns.com/OA1.htm They are aluminium orange and very affordable $82 per 100. We get our name and address /hunting club name printed for an extra $10. Found them from an article in a magazine. They have many "wordings" to choose from - post, no hunting, etc. They also have a cheaper plastic version. We own land so always go with metal for longer life. Good luck and happy Friday.

10. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I never put more than an address on the signs...here's why and I've actually done this once in real life.

If I run into a trespasser the first question I ask them is this:

"Oh you must know (insert wrong name) the owner of the property?"

Trespasser: Played along, "Oh yeah me and " " go way back"

Me: Funny their real name is (insert true name)...come with me.

Yes it's rare you'll get a chance to have a convo with a trespasser but it's just one more way for them to lie to anyone else they meet being able to say "Oh yeah me and (insert what you put on the sign) go way back".

11. tc3144

tc3144 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's some great ideas. Thanks. I def am not advertising a lease to anybody. I am basically just looking for a way to help the landowner accomplish what he wants done to preserve habitat and manage the land in exchange for hunting rights. At the same time we do have the universal purple paint law so I will suggest it to them. I wondered if you guys had tried it and if it worked Bette than the signs which obviously do get destroyed or damaged. Thanks for the input.

12. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    BTW... I love it when land owner post "No "Hunting Without Written Permissions" signs and fails to either put their phone number or address on it. Should be against the law... Simply because it irrates the crap out of me. :) Or when you do contact them and they say they don't allow anyone to hunt! Get the right sign d-bag!