Question for you Jeep and Backyard mechanic guys

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by cantexian, Jan 8, 2021.

1. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Unfortunately, I think it may have multiple leaks. I am going to start with the oil filter adapter. It seems to start around there and work down. I have used synthetic the last few oil changes.

2. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I'm pretty sure my leafs are wore out and the cost of a new set of them is really close to what ones for a lift would be. Alot of the other stuff that goes with lift needs replaced as well so will also already be spending that money.

I've been buying accessory type stuff layely for looks but I'm gonna start replacing some mechanical stuff that needs it now. Kind of a backwards approach but I've been goin back and fourth on what I want to do with the jeep so until got that figured out didn't want to be replacing stuff twice.

Think I settled on the Rubicon express 2.5 lift which will update alot of the suspension components. Need to figure out what want to do with steering linkage and ball joints but thats on list too. This really isn't goin to be a heavily used trail rig so idk if goin with the heavy duty steering and ball joint parts is worth cost or not.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    One thing to consider is the vibration you will get from your rear drive shaft from the lift. The proper way to fix is get SYE tail for your transfer case. But also need a new longer drive shaft. I put a 2 1/2 lift on my yj and got vibration. I just cheat it by putting 1" spacer in my transmission cross brace, to lower it. It works, but not really a proper fix.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

4. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't had any vibration with my lift. But, vibration and extra expense is why I went with a three inch lift instead of bigger. I will need to do my ball joints in the near future.

5. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    jrk_indle84 and cantexian like this.
  6. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not up on my YJ info, but I believe you can take the linkage off a Grand Cherokee (ZJ). The linkage is beefier but not as expensive. I'll have to look into that first, not sure if there is a knuckle change as well.

Done on a TJ, but gives you an idea: https://www.stu-offroad.com//steering/zjtie/tierod-1.htm

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  7. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    So my current tires are 225/70R/16 Firestone Destination. These are touch over 28" diameter tires. I would like to get to a 30", maybe 31" if it does not cause rubbing. I am trying to figure out how big of a tire I can put on without having to also put on wider rims. I was hoping to get to 265/70R/16 or 265/75R/16. But, those maybe too big for my rims. I would like to get the biggest tire I can without having to cut down my fenders. Although, I may add fender flares in the future. Maybe, I should do that first, since trimming seems to be necessary most of the time?

8. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Yea that Rubicon lift comes with the spacers to drop trans and shims for the rear axel. I'm still kinda debating back and fourth. That kit comes with about everything but I've been looking at other stuff like a sye kit too. If did that could save some on lift kit. The Rubicon one is ablut 7 or 800 with shocks. But by time got new drive shaft and sye it'd probably come to about same cost. Really just wanna do it right the first time. I've learned theres always something wanna change tho when it comes to jeeps ha.

Biggest problem having is I'm trying to figure out if want the 2.5 or little more. Don't want it really jakced up but don't want to go with that and then wish got little more.

Holt likes this.
  9. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks I'll check it out. The stuff i was looking at was tera flex parts, but again this isn't really a trail/off road rig so don't know if it's really needed.

Only reason looking at replacing the stuff is whats on there is wore out and if do end up putting lift on it don't want any problems.

Edit: was just looking around quadratec and makes wonder if this wouldn't work. The steering knuckle is same part for both vehicles.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  10. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    If I remember correctly, the guys needing the knuckle are swapping the link to the high side for clearance. The linkage for the V8 ZJ is much thicker than the xj/yj/tj, I still belive you need to get the tie rod ends to fit the threads, but it's a cheaper way to upgrade the linkage. I bought the currie linkage, way more than I need, but it is very stout.

11. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I am happy with the 3" Rough Country lift I did on my XJ. Didn't have to mess with the SYE kit on that, it would have needed it if I gone with a bigger lift.

12. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Had the ball joints and new tires put on last week. I am really liking this look. I went with Toyo Open Country 3 A/T in 245/75/16. With the lift and tires it sits about five inches higher than before and drive much smoother. I am upgrading the in-bumper driving lights to LED this weekend.

13. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    upload_2021-4-9_11-26-10.jpeg

Pic of tires and lift.

JeffC likes this.
  14. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Made an upgrade to the dash yesterday. I went from a three to a four button console to move the foglight switch from under the steering wheel to the dash. I also replaced the cigarette lighter and 12v power outlet with USB outlets.

upload_2021-4-11_8-3-13.jpeg