Question for parents.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by soccerdan90, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Like me, my kids have been hunting and fishing since they could walk. At 5 or so they would go squirrel hunting and carry the squirrels. They were taught to shoot both guns and bows and to respect everything from the Red Rider up. Nothing like deer camp.

2. bry2211

bry2211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My son has been in the stand with me since he was 4. I put a stand up close to the house so we could hop in it for short periods of time. I shot a small doe the first year and he helped me gut it and never batted an eye.

Just the other day I shot a doe and he wanted to help me track it. He really impressed me with his tracking abilities. It a lot of fun to have them with you doing anything related to hunting. He is 9 now and is ready to put one down.

My 3 year old wants to check the cameras every weekend and go squirrel hunting any chance he gets.

I really think that if you give them the option they will let you know if they are ready. I wouldn't push them but I would allow them the opportunity.

3. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I started taking my oldest when he was three. He is five now and can start shooting deer next year when he is six. My youngest is not ready yet. Most of our hunts are short; two and half hours or less. I take our portable DVD player and let him watch movies. it keeps him quiet and still while we hunt. He looks if there are deer around for him to see. He loves seeing the deer I kill and bring home. He told me I have to buy a cross bow for him to use next year. Keep it short and bring something to keep them from being bored. Focus on the experience of being out with your kid and not killing something. It is well worth it if your kid enjoys it.

4. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My kids are 6 & 11 & both have "real" bows. They both come with me frequently (separately). Next year my daughter should be Abel to pull the legal draw weight & she is pumped to hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Pine tops

Pine tops Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    started mine at 8 and 10 dove and duck. Rifle came later.

6. pernat

pernat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm 23 now and my dad started me when I was 5 gun hunting. Then at 6 he started me Bowhunting with him. I naturally got into it always being around our butcher shops cutting deer was what I've always been involved in. My son is now 4 and shooting his bow and asking about going hunting. I took him once so far and when he ran out of patience we got out. I try to make it fun and hope he wants to continue this awesome sport. So my opinion is 4 or 5 but keep it fun I think that is essential!

7. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    my daughters both started coming with me around the age of 5. My now 12 year old shot her first turkeys at age 7 & 8. She shot deer at 10, 11, & 12.
    They both have been coming w/ me from about age 5ish... they love it. My older likes to shoot / kill. My younger (now 10) just enjoys being part of it, but is still a bit reluctant to do the killing... I just enjoy their company.