Question for parents.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by soccerdan90, Oct 25, 2016.

1. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    At what age did you your kids start hunting? How young is to young?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I started when I was 4. Granted Dad just took me out for short hunts when I was young.

My kids didn't show an interest and I regret waiting till they were tweens.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  3. Tony.Loney

Tony.Loney Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was 4 or 5 . My daughter is 7 and this is her second year. She goes with me on nice days and only short hunts. Our last time out which was Saturday morning we got two small bucks within 10 yards and she saw her first coyote. The look on her face was priceless.

4. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    My daughter is 4 and always asks when she can kill a deer. I want to start her young but don't know how young is to young. I've thought about buying a crossbow and have her practice with me. Don't want to rush it tho.

5. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My kids started at around 12 I think. I started at 8. Really boils down to safety and the ability to accurately shoot a weapon to humanely kill an animal. We were allowed to take shotguns and rifle out when we were younger alone. Wife was like yeah no.

Another thing to consider is that you want your child to understand the ramifications of killing a creature. There is no reset like in video games and you can't bring the bullet or arrow back once its gone.

Also check your local game laws too. Some have restrictions on minimum again when they are not accompanied by a licensed adult.

I would start them out hunting with you as an observer and see how they like it. Make it fun as you can. Maybe use a ground blind and take a video camera and let them to pretend to be your camera person. Ground blinds or box blinds will allow them to ease into it.

Either way good luck. The fact that you are asking means you are on the right track. :tu:

6. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Mine have been hunting with me since 3, my oldest who just turned 9 is ready to kill, actually his 5 yo brother is too. He's been shooting a gun and a crossbow for awhile now. I hope he kills this year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

7. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My daughter is 15 months. Hell of a shot too.

8. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I believe it has everything to do with three maturity of the child, that could be 4 or 14 depending on when they want to go. They will tell you.

9. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely won't take her hunting till I know she is mature enough to do so.

10. Me53

Me53 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think you hit the nail on the head. There is no set age, WI allows 10yr olds to hunt...but many are not ready then. My 7 year old has rifle hunted with me for 3 yrs (take a tablet with). My 9 yr old just doesn't have the patience yet.

The camera man idea is good. I'm going to give that a shot next month. If nothing else it should be interesting to see what he found film worthy.

11. preachnhunt

preachnhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As others have said there is no magic age,but to me the must important thing is don't push. If a kid is cold and miserable it's time to go home. And a first deeris ALWAYS a trophy. Brag on it like it's a B&C.

12. jcz

jcz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My daughter is 9 has a Mathews genesis and has nice groups out to 15 yards but most importantly she loves to shoot and gives us time to chat I hope it lasts forever

13. choppersk61

choppersk61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Kids 5-6 no problem for short hunts. Make it fun for them.

Take them with you when they are young. Once they become teens, they'll want nothing to do with you for a few years...

Apparently they come around...

I'm still waiting. :o(

14. PolarBoy

PolarBoy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    talking from the KIDS perspective: my dad never hunted. my mom never hunted. My father and i were always invited on the annual family deer camp trip; one year we took up the opportunity. I loved everything about it from the beginning and knew from a young age that i had found my passion. my father never hunted again afterwards. Long story short, even though my dad never picked up a rifle again, we still had the best f$%$ times of our lives, just eating bad food and hanging with the guys (and girls). even the horrible dinner we had the diner on the way up; all very great memories for me til this day... i didnt feel like a kid, i felt like one of the guys. Deer camp is where i drank my first beer and hopefully it will be where i drank my last. i guess my advice is to not immerse young people too much into the uptight logistics of 'hunting' but to introduce them to the fun and camaraderie first and foremost. its what got me started, and it hasnt let me go. that much i know is true. the hardcore drive to have a successful hunt will follow if they just have that taste of the fun and community hunting has to offer.... and here i am a self taught bow hunter years later! good luck!

15. Comcam

Comcam Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for bringing this topic up, my child's not due till February but it's never to early to start thinking about this stuff !

He/she will be getting there lifetime hunting license once they get a SS number, it's only like $200 here in Tennessee

16. dmax4me

dmax4me Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just started my granddaughter this year at age 7. She has been bugging me to take her hunting since she was 5. I didn't want to start her to young and have her get bored and lose interest. She was so excited the first time we had deer 10 yards in front of us. Good times!

17. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    This is why I brought it up. My daughter has asked me for the past year when she can shoot a deer. She wants a head in the wall next to mine. She loves going out and looking for deer with me. She goes she's hunting with me, in fact both my girls do. Her sister is 2 and she loves getting strapped to my back and going to the woods.
    I have never hidden my dead deer from them. I have friends that refuse to let their kids see their deer. I installed in them from the start that we kill deer to eat the meat. I didn't expect to have this thought this early but every time I go out she asks to go.

18. Gator Dale

Gator Dale Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My son been around deer while we cut them up since age 4 and been out doing the work since 7. Best last yr dragging deer out sunny nice one day and 8 in of snow next. But here he pulls legal draw weight last yr at age of 12 and passed on first deer cause he said to small hooked for life now. But short sets when young is best way imo goodluck

19. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome! I think exposing them young is the way to go for sure. I have gotten some awful looks when we go to petting zoos and she states loudly that she likes to eat cows while petting one. Makes me proud hahaha.

20. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've taken my daughter a couple years. She is 13 now. She's not ready to kill a deer at this age. Last year, she had several opportunities to pull the trigger on does and she just couldn't do it. I asked if she wanted to go out for youth season and she said she just doesn't want to kill a deer yet. I told her that I was fine with that and that I could teach her how to run the camera so she could still come hunting with me. She seemed excited to still be able to experience the hunt without having to pull the trigger. She said she might be ready by next year, and I'll let her decide for herself.