Question about Topo Maps

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by grizzly1530, Aug 15, 2013.

1. grizzly1530

grizzly1530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The land I hunt, is basically a flood plain of the Mississippi River. There is very little in the way of hills or valleys, it is basically flat, with sloughs running through it. Would reading, and learning to read topo maps be useful for me? From my limited knowledge of maps, it seems they're great for showing elevation changes, which would indicate areas I need to focus on. If they would be useful, what are some things it would show that I should look out for, considering the rather flat elevation, outside of the sloughs that run through the land?

2. Bluesky2012

Bluesky2012 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    In my opinion, being able to read and navigate off of a topo map (both with and without a compass) is a very useful skill to have. Would it help you in your area with the lack of significant elevation changes? Potentially. It depends on what amount of elevation changes you have, and how well you can determine what the map shows in order to guide your decision making process. I use them coupled with satellite pics and its a great way to get started.

3. grizzly1530

grizzly1530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, next question would be, where do I get a good topo map. I tried looking online, but I found a bunch of different things, some free, some paid.

4. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  5. Jelf

Jelf Newb

Dislikes Received:
  6. djandy

djandy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received: