Question about Recurves

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by James Krall, Jun 7, 2018.

1. James Krall

James Krall Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So this is an odd and very beginner situation I am in...I've had my current recurve takedown bow for about 2-3 years now (62 inch Samick Sage take-down bow, 40lb) and never considered draw length, arrow length, or bow length to be issues to tackle; in fact I began shooting with no questions and kind of taught myself (very bad idea). This led to a lot of mistakes I've had to fix, which I've been doing gradually, but realized something today. My arm span in 69 inches on the dot, which means my draw length is roughly 28 inches, which also means I should be using a 68-70 inch bow. For 3 years, I've been using a bow 6 inches too short, and haven't noticed.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I can't find any 68 inch limbs online, and even though I've grown used to using my bow, I feel getting a proper one suited for my draw length would benefit my shot long-run in both target shooting and eventually hunting. Does anybody know of any bows I can find online that come in 68 inches? I haven't been able to find much and I prefer traditional bows (wood, recurve, that kind of stuff), so any advice and anything else to take into account when buying a new bow would be appreciated!

I'll post a picture of my specs and bow!

Attached Files:

2. Slyder05

Slyder05 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    U don't necessarily need to have a 68 in bow. My draw is 28 in as well nd I hunt with a 58" 45lb bear grizzly recurve. I also don't have finger pinch at all with it. Vary comfy but if ur heart is set on a 68in bow check out 3rivers or Lancaster.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1Arrow1Kill likes this.
  3. Bowsage

Bowsage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    1 ) Your best bet is to measure your actual draw length.
    2) Plenty of shorter bows will accommodate a 28 in draw
    3) there are guidelines for best fit with individual bows according to draw length

4. 1Arrow1Kill

1Arrow1Kill Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Find a bow that 'feels' good and 'shoots' good for you with the right draw length and poundage. Don't be too concerned about the overall length of the bow, unless it needs to be a specific size for a specific application. I tend to shoot longer, less poundage bows a little more accurate, but like shooting shorter, higher poundage bows when I hunt. That said, to each their own . . . "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"