Question about Lone Wolf Climbing Sticks

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by patinthehat, Nov 20, 2014.

1. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Is it easy to adjust to having just one step on each level? I am looking at swapping from a climber to hang on/sticks. Seems like it would be awkward standing there trying to hang sticks/stand.

2. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It hasn't bothered me any. I love them!

3. patinthehat

Dislikes Received:
    I reckon it would just be something you get used to. l looked at the muddy sticks (steps on both sides) and they aren't much different in price. But I'd rather go LW. Once again, I had to pick a tree my climber could handle, not the tree I wanted to climb and I ended up being about 10 yds out of range from the couple of deer that passed through.

4. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My friend has the muddy 32 inch sticks and I like the LW much more. I don't feel safe standing on the same step at the same time.

5. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They definitely took a while to get used to but once you get your system down its quick...i have a muddy hang on with the lw sticks......i can be set up and hunting in 10 minutes or less if I have to hurry....usually do it in about 10 15 if there is no rush.....i wouldn't do it any other way.....if I'm running and gunning and not in a ladder stand to me it's the only way to go....the ability to get in virtually any tree is awesome as well

6. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The only tricky bits with the LW sticks that I've had are:
    - hanging the stand takes a bit of balance, but if you have a lineman's belt, easily overcome.
    - quietly hanging the sticks (not having the sticks hit together) - since I pack them in and out each trip, hanging one off either side of your belt, as one of the folks here suggested, cures that.
    -getting the sticks to 'nest' back together after a long, unproductive and cold day -we'll, that is just an operator problem ;)

~Bill

7. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    With a little practice it goes pretty quickly. I carry five steps and get into almost any tree I want comfortably.

8. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Check out the Guide Gear Climbing sticks from Sportsmans Guide. I use them and for the price can't be beat.

9. tkarrow

tkarrow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They are phenomenal.

T

10. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Do you plan on being mobile (packing in and out) Pat or just have the ability to get into trees that are not necessarily straight? The Lone Wolf sticks weigh 2.5 lbs each and are very easy to pack at 32" in length. Another plus is the steps fold in-line with the stick so that when hiking they are pretty much out of the way. I use mine to hike pretty long distances so the weight is very important to me. Last year I left them on the tree when we started to get an ice storm and the next day they had ice on the steps. I simply flipped them over and used the side that was not icy. The Guide Gear sticks work in some situations but if you are going to use them to be mobile they are a bit over 5lbs each. Can't beat the price though.

11. patinthehat

Dislikes Received:
    More for the mobile. With us picking up a lot of new property this year, I am still learning a lot of it. There are a couple places that I have found I really like that those will probably get a full time lock-on, at which I'll probably put up a cheaper stand and sticks or just leave some cheaper sticks in the tree and carry my stand and 1 stick. Which btw, i took advantage of the LW sale and picked up an alpha 2 & 4 pack of sticks.

12. pitzer25

pitzer25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had lw sticks and I didn't like how I had to figure out which way to start the steps because if you start wrong you will be on the wrong foot when you reach your stand. I just bought muddy hunter sticks I like 2 steps for hanging the stand no guessing on first step side and when they get icy or snow I can take my time without having to reach for another step

13. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If I'm running and gunning I'll just raise or lower the stand 6" and take and additional or one less step. If I'll be leaving it hung, my first trip down I flip the steps.