Question about arrow spine

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by WildernessPhantom, Feb 6, 2019.

1. WildernessPhantom

WildernessPhantom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a proshop make me arrows. They are the easton axis 400's. My draw weight is 70 lbs and my draw length is 28 inches and he cut the arrows so that the nock valley to the tip of the insert is 28 inches. A 28 inch arrow by proper measuring standards. When I plug the specs into a spine chart it says I either need a 340 at this length or a 27 inch 400. They are already paid for so my question is if this will be ok? The only option would be to cut an inch off these if it isn't. I hope the tech knew what he was doing. I didn't really know enough about arrow spine to argue. I hope he wasn't just clearing the shelf. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. I shoot a similar set up, actually I believe im tuned to 65 pounds.. I was shooting 400's and found allot of arrow flex, un even entry into targets. I switched to 350's.. flys smooth and straight unless I am torqueing the bow.. I found if you walk in and ask for something specific, they won't dig too much into it they will just cut them.. I also learned this the hardway.

3. Planopurist

Planopurist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’d say you’re probably underspined. I’m shooting Gold Tip .340s at 29” DL, 64 lbs., 123 gr point including insert and extra weight. My arrows are cut about 28.625” carbon-to-carbon.

I’d take the arrows back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. WildernessPhantom

Dislikes Received:
    I’m thinking the same. Can they be cut again after the insert has been glued in? Even at 27 inches seems they will be borderline. Thanks for the help. I’m afraid I won’t get money back and an offer to recut is all I’ll get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. DIYArcher

DIYArcher Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would tell them to get you new correct arrows because they're the ones that screwed up in the first place.

#keephammering #nockon

Tyler Jensen likes this.
  6. James D Jones

James D Jones Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Did the shop pick the spine for you or did you ask for those arrows.

If the shop chose them then I bring them back and explain that you don't want borderline under spined arrows as that's a safety issue and could be a pain to tune. From what iveI found is that "asking" really doesn't do any good , walk in with a positive (but polite) demeanor and tell them
    "Look , I told you what my setup was and your tech chose the wrong arrow , I need a heavier spine" don't turn it into a discussion whether or not they will work but what you want.!!

Planopurist likes this.
  7. WildernessPhantom

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone. It was a super easy resolution. I did not ask for 400's but for the best arrow for my setup. With so many people focused on speed, I guess he assumed I wanted the fastest arrow. I explained speed was not what I was interested in and the 400's have been swapped out with 340's. I did explain that I wanted a stiffer, heavier arrow rather than an arrow that was faster and "workable". I was pretty surprised at how good it went. Thanks again and God bless.

James D Jones and Planopurist like this.