Question about angle from treestand

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by AdamSean, Oct 18, 2015.

1. AdamSean

AdamSean Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, here is my dilemma. I was always told to hold low when shooting from an elevated position. But this morning when I shot at a doe at 30 yards, the arrow went right under her, twice! And I was holding dead on target. To me, when elevated there is more distance to cover than shooting level. So if you have a pre-determined distance, you should hold high since the angle will add distance covered. Is there an equation I should go by? Help.

2. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's more likely form error rather than angle length. The distance is negligible, especially with todays modern bows.

3. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Pythagorean theorem, if you'd like to play with some numbers

4. used2belucky

used2belucky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bend at the hips on steep angle shots and shoot for the exit. I 1 lunged quite a few deer by shooting for the entrance. My cousin was having all kinds of wacky issues shooting from stands before we learned what third axis tuning was. But that's more of a windage issue

5. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

NateJR_PABOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My advice is practice from a elevated spot similar to the height you will hunting from.. I personaly don't shoot from a elevated spot when practicing often, but the few times I did practice shooting from my stand the difference was very minimal compared to when I shot from level ground, a shot that said 30 yards on my range finder hit right where it should have using my 30 yard pin whether I was on level ground or 20 ft. up in a tree.

You do have to pay attention to angles though, you're shooting out a downward angle so like eas mention pay more attention to where your arrow will be exiting rather than where it enter.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  6. patches2565

patches2565 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I put the pin right where I wanted to hit but only knew to do that by practicing from my stand at 10, 20, 30 yards. But I also cheat and have a rangefinder with arc

Bowtech invasion
    CX maxima 350
    React 5
    Reaper 2 inch

7. Adamant2010

Adamant2010 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've done this as I'm sure many others have as well and there is a difference but it's so minimal...just hold the same as you would On the ground

8. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There's no substitute for actually practicing from the stand and learning yourself. No amount of advice is going to grant miraculous knowledge and experience. Get in a stand and practice and learn your equipment and yourself so you aren't guessing as to the next outcome. Set up a mock stand in your yard if you have to and practice from different angles and be sure to get accurate yardage measurements. Solid fundamentals cure a lot of problems and guesswork and trump iffy advice every day of the week.

9. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Gravity works on the vertical plane. So it is the actual distance from the base of the tree to the deer. For shooting both up and down. If the deer was 15 yards from the base of the tree and you were 50 YARDS up a tree (or ridge in a real life situation), gravity only pulls your arrow down for the 15 yards of horizontal distance. But as said, at 20 feet up a tree and 20 YARDS away the difference is less than 1 yard. You missed because of poor shooting form from an elevated position.

10. AdamSean

AdamSean Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The issue was my peep sight was too big in contrast to my sight aperture. I replaced my single pin sight with my old 3 pin which has a mo h better contrast. And yesterday I smoked the same Doe at 25 yards. I split my 20 and 30 pins and let it fly. She circled back maybe 50 yards and dropped. 1 in the freezer :-)
    [​IMG]