QAD Ultra Rest HDX issues - NEED HELP.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by LittleChief, Feb 10, 2012.

1. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    If any of you have any experience installing and tuning the QAD Ultra Rest Pro HDX, I really need some advice.

The shop that put the Ultra Rest on my new bow had some trouble getting enough left adjustment. I was totally unfamiliar with this rest, so I watched as they unscrewed the launcher and moved it over to the next set of holes to the left. Okay, I bought that. Shot it a few times at the shop, loaded up and went home. I installed the felt/moleskin/whatever and everything went to hell.

Problem #1. I was shooting cock vane up and I was getting significant fletching contact with the containment bar. Upon taking a closer look, by moving the launcher to the left, it centered the cock vane under the left down-curve of the arched containment bar. It took me 5 minutes of watching the DVD that came with the rest to know that they didn't install a spacer designed to move the entire assembly left, allowing the launcher to remain centered under the middle of the arched containment bar.

I switched to shooting cock vane out until I can get back over there and found that I'm getting fletching contact on the right side of the launcher, which leads to the second and show-stopping issue.

Problem #2. I'm not expert on this rest, but I'm sure it's staying up far to long. It's staying up so long that it's wearing through the front half of the decals on the Gold Tip Velocity Pro shafts. That tells me that it's not starting to drop until over two thirds of the arrow have passed.

I'm going back tomorrow, and while I really like the idea of this rest, I'm not sure if I want them to put another one on. Has anyone else had this sort of problem? Is it just a bad one or does this rest not drop fast enough for this bow? Their website says it's supposed to drop fast enough for a 400 fps bow. Sure doesn't look that way.

2. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the same rest and have no problems with clearance. I pull 30" at 70 lbs and shoot cock vane up.

From your statement above it sounds like the guys at your shop weren't quite sure how to set it up correctly to begin with. Can you bring it to another shop and have them start over?

Also, as the guy who set mine up was going about the install, he did mention its very important with that rest that it's served into your cable at the perfect position to lock the launcher arm in at 90 degrees at full draw.there is a small white line near the thumb release lever that should be lining up with a small white line on the main housing at full draw. Hope this helps! Good luck!

3. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm figuring that out. I just called QAD Tech support and the guy I talked to said that the cord should be attached to the buss cable no higher than the bottom of the grip. They attached mine about 2/3 of the way down the grip, making the cord only about 4 inches long. He said that it's definitely a timing issue and that there's no way it should be maintaining contact with the arrow that long. As to the installer not putting in the spacer block, I'll just have to chalk that one up to either a plain old "brain fart" or maybe there's something different about this bow. It is the first Insanity they've ever laid hands on, but I've seen the invasion and I don't see that much difference in the risers. Who knows? Looks like another 6 hour round trip to Arkansas tomorrow.

4. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's a bummer! But at least it sounds like you'll be getting it straightened out. Once that rest is functioning properly you're gonna love it. I enjoyed my NAP apache I had previously, but it doesn't even compare to the QAD. I hope u enjoy it!

5. dj-skyy

dj-skyy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    no issues here with my HDX...best rest i've owned.... :rock:

here's how mine was setup on the z7-magnum...see where it attaches....it's right below the top handle part....
    [​IMG]

6. MNpurple

MNpurple Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If fletching contact remains an issue, QAD sells a launcher arms that has a deeper valley so your arrow sits lower. Consider this if you continue to have issues.

I do like the rest very much, but I have started to notice that it I need to flip it into the up position multiple times before it stays on its own. Theres lots of other good drop away rests out there, but for spot and stalk elk, keeping it locked in the up position makes this rest so much quieter than the other drop aways that would have the arrow bouncing around. The Apache is a great rest but not for spot and stalk. I need to talk to QAD about the arm issue.

7. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why would they install a rest adjusted to you nock point. Then send you home and have you add the mole skin. It's gonna throw everything off. When you buy that rest out comes with 2 launchers. I would take it to another shop that is a little more capable

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk