QAD rest hitting arrow/fletchings

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ohsobad_chevy, Sep 12, 2011.

1. turketfoot81

turketfoot81 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Qad rest ?

doesnt this rest re-quire down force to make it drop , not just a drop away.i had one that was doing the same thing with leaving markes on vane,Even tearing couple off .I took back to shop and they re-placed it with another one that was doing same thing.They told me its a down force rest not a actual drop away.I suppose where it stays up when drawn, contact must be what forces it to drop.

2. BowTechnicianforChrist

BowTechnicianforChrist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Base: The Dirty South, Do-Boy: Anywhere they drag

First things first. Make sure it's installed correctly, and served in your cable correctly. In the up position, the rest should have your arrow straight and even with the installation threaded holes for your rest. The rest should be even with the bowstring, with the bowstring even with mid-riser (check both ends). All of this can be done by eye, but for about a usual $20 a pro shop will set it up for you. You can easily adjust your vane clearance with a turn of the nock, so if everything else is straight, try it. However, I can tell from the pics that the rest is not near tune.

Once you get the rest inline, shoot a few bare shafts through it, and make sure the rest is tune. Once it is you can work on the arrows. The fork model shouldn't make a difference unless your shooting over 280. If you are you need to change the fork, as noted in other posts.

Hope this helps, God Bless.

3. BowTechnicianforChrist

Dislikes Received:
    The slapping noise is one of two things, the fork hitting the riser, or a vane hitting the fork. A QAD rest is a pain to install if you haven't done it a bunch, they require alot more precise serving into your cable, and arrow speed has been a problem for them, their drop can be set, but alot of times again, if your not familiar, it can be a pain to get it right.

Your nock point needs to be set with a square.

I always recommend trophy taker full containment, and have never had an issue with any of them. Dare I say it, the PSE Phantom is also a favorite, whether original or micro. They are both very simple to install, and rarely have difficulties. The quads design, (post over) has been a pain since they've been introduced, and they've been chasing a fix (new forks, etc) forever. I'm you, I pick another rest. IMHO.

God Bless, hope you find your way.

4. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Hoosier daddy mentioned in his post about the lock down feature and this is where your problem might be.
    The hunter model doesn't come with this feature so when your arrow is released that rest is bouncing back up.
    I know first hand as I had the same issues as yourself. I spent some time at my archery dealer until we figured out
    it was due to the bounce. I got rid of the rest and I went with a NAP Apache and I haven't looked back.
    Good luck!

T

I decided to take a closer look so if you take a look at this picture below is the arrow rest making contact with the arrow shelf? If so this will cause the rest like I stated to bounce back up. That rubber pad on the shelf will no doubt have a bouncing effect.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  5. OHhitman31

OHhitman31 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    sounds like u need to paper tune ur bow. i would get control of arrow the flight first and go from there , make sure ur grip on the bow is right , i always check the little things first , good luck

6. ohsobad_chevy

ohsobad_chevy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My bow seems to be shooting better but I do notice a stray or two every now and then that will fly bad. I am going to keep shooting what I have for this year but I will look for a new rest for next year.

Thanks for the help, guys.

7. arrowpimp

arrowpimp Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Is the rest coming up past vertical? It shouldn't be. Plus, make sure you aren't creeping forward during the shot.

8. Grits

Grits Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hoosier Daddy

It looks like you have had a lot of experience with these rests along with some of the others. I just ordered a QAD a couple of days ago - did I make a mistake ? In your opinion what is the best drop away ?

9. BowTechnicianforChrist

Dislikes Received:

Definitely correct. Good job at catching the rubber in the pic, I missed it. If you goto moleskin, you might not have the bounce back problem, you can also adjust for the fall in a variety of ways, but you might get rid of your headache by switching rests. QADs are a serious pain, although I know many people that love em. To each is own.
    God Bless.

10. BowTechnicianforChrist

Dislikes Received:
    If your not sponsored (pun intended to those who are), There are two that I put on bows when someone's not sure. Trophy takers full capture, and PSE's phantom. Never had the slightest issue, and their a sinch to tune.

QAD's been chasing problems with their rest for a while, it seems the newer versions are better, but it's your decision. Since you've already made the purchase, head to a pro shop and have them work it, they should be able to get it done. Installing them without being a tech may cause you to want some Tylenol. :)

God Bless.

11. CrispySmurf

CrispySmurf Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, I'm here to revive a old, dead thread! I think I'm having the same issue reported hear, but with my HHA Vertis rest. I switched arrows to get ready for the season. I went up in weight and to a 4-fletch (Sirius vulcan). I think the fletching is hitting the rest as they started showing blacks marks (not from the target). My bow's noise has also gotten terrible. Which was actually noticed before switching arrows. I thought it was limb vibration so I had some of those limb jammers or w/e. Now I occasionally see a weird arrow flight or hit when shooting. I'm totally perplexed. I gone to a bow shop and paid for their" super tune", but don't think they fixed it, though the bow was shooting much better.

So, has anyone heard anything about these rests? Is it bad design, or could it be timing with the new arrows? I know it's dang near impossible to give me an answer over the internet. Just wondering if anyone can speak to HHA Vertis.

Thanks!

12. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Check your timing on the rest

13. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    QAD rest are the finest of all IMO of course. Timing is everything. even the cheaper hunter version has never let me down when I used them. I have used the pse phantom, the limbdriver, the biscuit, the ripcord....none were bad, well I didn't care for the biscuit, but it was functional but to me the QAD LD beat them all