Q&A/tips: Beginning to hunt

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Locum51, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Locum51

Locum51 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    *To thwart those who might attempt to troll or get pissy and jack this thread: Yes, i did search and have read the majority of articles on this site.

I am starting to slowly acquire things to get me out hunting for the first time (next year); I have been shooting at my block target for two years to make sure that I perfect everything about my shot. My parents are supportive in the archery aspect of bowhunting, but not the hunting part of it. So i have virtually no help outside of target shooting.

My question is what/where do I begin other than purchasing the basics (stand, camo, tree harness & accs, bino's, RF, misc sprays & liquids)? In more detail, what tips do you have as far as where to hunt at first and how to eventually being able to hunt on leased or permissed land?

2. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Man that is a hard one. I beleive a majority of us bowhunters had someone to show us our first steps. You've got a good idea of what to do but now you just need to do it. The first thing I would do if I was you is find a place to hunt. go knocking on doors (in the Country) and explain you case. things to look for when appoaching a house.
    1. look for barns, and farm equipment. This will up you chances that the people who live there also own the property. first identify yourself and tell them you story i.e. age where you go to school (assuming your in school), and who your parents are. Then start off saying that your wanting to start bowhunting and was wondering if they might allow you an opertunity to persue your interst there, or if not there where they'd suggest you look. Sometimes if they already have people hunting on them they may point you in the right direction of where to look else where. When I was in Highschool I approached an older farmer that already had people hunting on his land, but he said that his neighbor did not. End result he took me to the nieghbor and introduced me and I was allow to hunt that land for many years until he passed and his kid sold the farm. once you have a place to hunt check back in and we'll provide you with additional advise.

Every property is different. No trees to put a stand in and if I was you starting out I would just purchase a cheap hang on or ladder stand. not every tree will allow a climber set up.

3. Locum51

Locum51 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, and yea as additional info, none of my parents have hunted; as far as I know of my grandpa has, however, he lives down south. And i'm in college as of now.

And yea i was thinking about climber, however, i do have myself sort of looking at the Gorilla HX hang on, and just getting a cheap set of climbing sticks.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  4. Crossbow Jared

Crossbow Jared Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is my second year hunting. This year i have finally got the deer patterns some what figered out. Last year was a HUGE learning curve. The best thing to do is scout and spend time in the stand with time you will figer it out. Also the guys on here have helped me a LOT. Thanks

5. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Where are you going to college at?

6. Locum51

Locum51 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Northern Illinois, and you?

7. cgersty

cgersty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Where do you live in Illinois? I know lots of farmers in Illinois, and I live in Illinois too, if you are not too far I could meet up with ya and show ya a few things.

Gersty

8. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I thinking the same thing. Im in champaign. where are you at?

9. Locum51

Locum51 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm near Elgin, and you?

10. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Im in champaign, im going to the community college here. its called parkland.

11. Locum51

Locum51 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Champaign isn't that bad of a drive, I'm use to commuting to school.

12. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Two things come to mind. One, do not become a gear head, spend your money on more important things in your life for now. A bow and broadhead tipped arrows, a portable stand and safety harness, and clothes to keep you warm is all you need. Forget all the other crap for now, most of it is useless anyway. Two, spend time in the woods, as much as you can, you will be surprised what you can learn by just being there.
    As far as hunting spots, casually tell people that you know, and meet, that you hunt, and that you are looking for places to hunt. You never know who has a friend, relative, whatever, who has a place you can hunt. Do not overlook public land either, especially the smaller parcels, sometimes those are overlooked by other hunters. Look for management hunts in parks and nature preserves too, they are popping up all over and can be a great opportunity.

13. Locum51

Locum51 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Those are good tips, and the only land that I know of is public land that is hunt able other than asking around. The asking around and knowing farmers is where I'm lacking as of now. And no not a gear head, I try to stay outside when I can although school does get the best of me and I'm stuck inside.

14. Locum51

Locum51 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, i wouldn't mind that. Where are you located?

15. cgersty

cgersty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im prolly a little far of a drive from you, I am in madison county, in a town called edwardsville.

Gersty

16. Locum51

Locum51 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Are there any other tips I could soak in from others?

17. nanook

nanook Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is my first year and what has helped me is asking questions on here but most of all being out there and doing it. I would suggest a hang on, I got a climber and it really limits the trees I can get to. Once you get out a look for the trails and learn what to look for you will start seeing it, I mark all my tree stands, scrapes, trails etc on my iPhone with Trimble or Cabela's Recon app. Read, read, read but most of all get out there and do it, it beats being at school or work that's for sure. This being my first year I don't have anyone to show me the ropes, been talking to the guys on here which has helped. It's been a very steep learning curve but its a good challenge and I try to learn as much as I can each time I'm out.

18. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure if you guys have these in Illinois however a platbook may be a good starter for finding lang to hunt on. They're pricey by me (40 bucks) is why I haven't purchased one and I already have my hunting spot. This spot generally will tell you (whatever county you purchase) who owns what in the county. They are a great so you don't go trespassing on some farmers land. Highly frowned upon. Anyway once you find the spot you are looking for it's time to do some scouting. I'm guessing you have a lot of farm land down by you so in the event that you are hunting farms I would look for bottlenecks or channels between the fields to hunt. I would do some scouting and look for the deer sign. This is the droppings, tracks, scrapes, rubs, runways, etc etc. Once you get a feel of the area you might possibly hunt. It's time for stand position. Things to look toward when setting up a stand is wind position and I also pay attention to the sun. Notice the direction to which you walk in towards your stand from your vehicle. Notice whether you can access your spot from another ways in the event the wind is bad. This might seem like a lot but eventually you'll get a feel for it. Another thing that comes to mind is when you position your stand in the tree, make sure to position it so you can shoot out of it. Example if your a rh bowhunter you are most likely going to need to shoot either in front of you or to you left. So take note when you are setting up. I think that maybe the basics I can tell you now, but I can actually give you better info if you are going to hunt a big woods cuz that's what I hunt. Good luck out there, Shoot straight, and wear a harness.

19. Locum51

Locum51 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yea, same here; well technically i'm hoping next season will be my first season. None of my immediate family except for maybe my grandpa, but that's about it. I'm flying in blind so to speak. :lol:

These are good things to begin with thank you!!