Putting out new Treestands during season?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by IAwhitetails, Oct 17, 2013.

1. IAwhitetails

IAwhitetails Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I've been sitting in a treestand that produces deer in the morning but at night the deer funnel by the other side of a crp shrubby mix and I have 3 other stands on a different part of the property that also produce deer . So I don't want to move any. If I go and buy a new treestand and hang it tomorrow midday will the deer still funnel by or will they smell/notice new stand and then avoid the area for awhile? All advice appreciated !

2. rsf31tmp

rsf31tmp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have nothing to add, but would love to hear others thoughts

3. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A lot of people have their best luck the first sit after putting up a new stand. I'd say its worth a shot

sent from old school can and string

4. Arrow Assassin

Arrow Assassin Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I did this last year. Saw a spot where a big buck chased does out of the woods into the fields during the rut two times in a row. Hung a stand that next weekend and had several deer under me an hour or 2 later. Eventually shot my 13 pointer out of it.

5. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ive always had good luck doing this.. I love first sits and I am usually not afraid to hang a new stand if thats where the deer are.

6. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No worries.... You could spray the new stand down with scent spray to try and knock down some of the foreign scent if you want to I suppose...

I haven't even hung stands in my best spot yet and I won't until my Nov vacation.... Have shot a bunch of deer on the 1st or second sit. Have even assembled stands the night before on out of state hunts the night before hunting in my hotel room and didn't seem to bother the deer the next day... I'd be more careful about spreading your scent walking around looking for your exact stand sight. Try to get in the area, move around as little as possible - staying off the deer trails when you can and hang your stand....

7. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think they'll worry about the smell of you more than the stand. Hang it and hunt it!

8. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    run and gunning is doing just that...and it produces BIG TIME

9. IAwhitetails

IAwhitetails Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Right on guys. Thanks. I know right where I need to hang it and can get in and out pretty easily. I'll hang it tomorrow and go from there!

10. rsf31tmp

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

11. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's when I've shot all three of my deer. I did loose one of those deer but, all three were similar scenarios.

Deer 1. Scouted a new area of our property after a morning hunt. Carried my climber in that afternoon and shot her.

Deer 2. Hunted one morning. Seen the deer coming through up wind of me so I moved closer. I shot that one the next morning.

Deer 3. Topo scouted a piece of land I'd never scouted. Chose a spot looking at topo's. scouted on a Saturday morning and hung a stand. Shot that deer the next morning.

This is why I believe I will be buying portable sticks so that I can scout, hang hunt and try to hunt it within 24 hours. It's all that's worked so far.

12. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    People hang new set ups all the time. I have a lone wolf packed with sticks just for the run-n-gun approach. If I find a great spot Ill be ready to make a move.

13. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First sits are always the best in any new stand. We relocate stand all the time.. Hang it.. wait for the right wind--- and make a good shot..

Good luck!

14. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hang it and hunt it.

I only use a climber and I see plenty of deer since technically every time I climb is like hanging a new stand. I am a firm believer a new stand is one of your best times to hunt that area. Winke agrees and he has forgotten more about hunting deer than I've ever known.

15. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Take scent precautions using spray and clean boots/ clothing/ gloves when you set it up and you should be fine....the scent you need to worry about is your own...not the stand

16. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use my climber for this exact situation. If I see deer movement at another part of our property I will just pull out the climber and hunt it. Once the season is over I usually will consider puting a hang on stand there for the next season.

I use a lot of hang on stands but for the times when I may run and gun during early november you just can't beat a good climber.

17. Swampthing

Swampthing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As others have said, hang it and hunt it the same day. Do not give the deer a chance to smell that you have been in the areas. A virgin sit will almost always be your best sit.

18. rsf31tmp

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, with my climber the first time in an area is always the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

19. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    yup. Run and gun, as long as you practice decent scent control, you won't give the deer a pattern to detect. Just one word of advice - stay out of bedding areas!

I almost never sit a spot more than 4 times in a row; unless wind is really favorable. I usually have 2 hanging at any given time, but they are easily moved and i also have a climber in case winds dictate or if I "have a hunch."

20. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I need to pick up a climber for this very reason. I've got two spots that I don't have stands hung that I'm wanting to get into. First year hunting my own place and I haven't got the deer patterned yet.