Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Pulled the trigger

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by Sota, Dec 26, 2023.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    After some research and input I went and bought a Raven R29X. Sweet bow it shoots noice too. Can't wait till next fall.
    450 fps with a 400 grain bolt, that will do.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2023
    Tony likes this.
  2. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That'll definitely do. Good luck with it.

Sota likes this.
  3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have been researching broad heads and perhaps a little heavier bolt? I do not think a heavier bolt will matter as far as making the crossbow quieter but might put less stress on the limbs and vibration?

pastorjim08 and Tony like this.
  4. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have heard the same thing with high power crossbows. People feel the heavier bolt protects the limbs more by taking some of the energy out of the limbs and transfers it to the bolt. Same theory for sound.

Check out Tooth of the Arrow. I've been very happy with them the last 3 years. I shot 6 deer this year with same broadhead. I just practice shoot it after a kill, then resharpen after that. They have there own sharpen system that is inexpensive and easy. Takes me about 1 minute to sharpen a head.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Sota likes this.
  5. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Damn.. you did jump in the deep end! Nice!

100 grain rage 2 inch cut xbow BH will fly nicely or the T3 100 grain.

Get some lighted nocks or you'll never see your arrow flight at that speed.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The nice thing about a crossbow, if my son in law wants to fill an archery tag he can using my crossbow same as my son. Pretty universal weapon, not that I wouldn't be fretting when the younger lads use it.

Tony and Bone Head Hunter like this.
  7. Bone Head Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    A good shooting stick will also help no matter who is behind the trigger.

Great to see you getting excited again about hunting.

pastorjim08 and Sota like this.
  8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I shot at the archery store in a bow vice I still aimed it and adjusted since I am in a box blind why not use that instead of sticks?

Bone Head Hunter likes this.
  9. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You HAVE to use the Ravin bolts or you can void your warranty… as far as heads, any mechanical head made for 400 plus fps will do

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

10. Bone Head Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Box blind will work as long as you can get a good rest. I use one in my ground blinds.

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good info Tony thank you. I left the bow at the bowshop instead of bringing it home because I can shoot there and I want to walk thru the process of loading and reloading with professionals that is why you buy at a shop instead of a box store.

Tony and Bone Head Hunter like this.
  12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have been researching and reading and I believe the faster crossbows are like high performance vehicles that require more maintenance to properly operate. I have zero issue with that.

13. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the new rig sir. You are correct, crossbows require much more maintenance than verticals, especially one the shoots as fast as that ravin. Waxing the string and cables is crucial to their lifespan. Probably about every ten shots. Also, keep a close eye on them. If they start to fray anywhere, switch them out. Also the serving. If it starts to separate, you have to replace it. The serving is vulnerable, especially on narrow draw crossbows because of the string angle. Two really good products for lubing string and serving are Trident silicone grease and black lightning. The silicone grease is a food grade grease and has no odor and is not messy. The black lightning is like a very thick bowstring wax. They can both be had from Amazon. Good luck and enjoy!

View attachment 173073
    View attachment 173074

Last edited: Jan 13, 2024
  14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I bought the Ravin wax to be honest I have shot it twice I will be shooting it out of a bow vice tripod. Will practice until proficient then have it inspected and serviced before I hunt.

15. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The bow vice at the bowshop is not as expensive as I thought it would be, under $200 I will use that in the box.

16. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! I’ll second the lighted nocks. Not sure what you’re doing for a sight. I put a HHA with a Vortex 3-9 on top. The raven sights were way too busy for my tastes. I shoot shwacker 100gr. I also use a monopod. It’s a fun little set up. CB are a little nerve wracking compared to a vertical bow but they are fun. Glad to hear you’ll be getting after them next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sota and Bone Head Hunter like this.
  17. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Wednesday I go to try and shoot the crossbow. If the fix works I bring it home if not it gets sent in.

18. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Headed out to hopefully pick up bow. Now he also had another one at shop, different brand, way newer with same issue. Company techs told him they are finding it is a worn string wrap issue they see. Mind you I got new strings and cables year before last with little use.
    Hoping he is right though.
    Letting you guys know this should issues arrive for any of you, seeing it could be a simple fix on any bow.

19. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I'm back , it's fixed.
    Screwed Again. by a different shop on strings. Not 10 pt that were put on year before
    last. Ok my own fault because, besides being a woman, I have zero actual interest in the mechanics of..ANY DEVISE. That's what shops are for. I have two things in my 66 years I could and would take apart and put back together ,zero issues. The mini bike I had as a kid and my browning shot gun. Oh I can change tires , oil and tweek the Sthil.
    That said Another 100.00 on top of the 130.00 from other shop.
    I attached pull , then preceeded to look like an idiot setting the string. I've been struggling with it the past year and thinking it was my age. 170# draw weight I think 70 # with pull? Anyways remembering past resistance I bring up string setting it with a resounding crack and a whoa !! What was that exclamation. He said what? it set...ya way too easily, it's never pulled that easy. The reply was it's the correct string. He fired it and dang if its not flying faster and hitting harder than before.
    I now need to check the sights to see if or how much all this changed things. So the enire thing was a string serving issue and wrong string

Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
    Westfinger and pastorjim08 like this.
  20. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I can no longer can place my hands flat on a table. I called DEC. to get a request form for full time crossbow permit. It arrived Saturday so I'll get it filled out and to my Dr. this week. I've lost 3 coffee cups in as many months. It’s time, working on the ground blinds now. I climbby wrapping my arm to elbow one one arm to off set any possible hand release. Plus I've set up a short tether big carabiner on the front of my safety vest. It hooks over ladder rungs to keep me close to ladder in a hand failure

Oldcarp and ash d like this.