Public or private land?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by GoInLight, Jan 16, 2017.

1. GoInLight

GoInLight Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It's run by a good guy, but he doesn't really pay very much attention to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    He probably let's too many into the club for the size acres.

3. mcwoods

mcwoods Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I can't be the only one that's thinking 5k a year is a ton of money to hunt pressured land. One year's due would keep me hunting on public land for like 4 years covering gas, new gear and maintenance, tags & license, etc.

Public land can no doubt be frustrating, and it takes time, usually several years for me, to figure out the number and quality of both deer and people using a specific piece during and outside of the hunting season. If you can make it through that and either find a honey hole that people don't use much or figure out how to use all of that to your advantage you'll see and harvest deer. You'll also save a bunch of $$$

4. GoInLight

GoInLight Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Kinda thinking the same. I'm going to test the waters this year. I'm going Kansas public land, I've got a Kentucky trip set up, and I'll hunt some public here in Alabama. I think by the end of this year I'll know what I enjoy more. Plus I'm going broke hunting the place I am now!!

5. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    yeah, $5k a year should provide members with a low membership total somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 hunter per 350-500 acres.

****, I pay $1,100 for our club and we each get our own block of woods over 100 acres in size.

6. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Naturally anything men do is gonna be competitive. Just depends on how competitive you want it to be for you. I've never been a club member and like the idea of having a group that gets together to talk hunting. The part I don't like about it is it seems everyone usually wants to have the "one up" story to tell right after someone else. That's annoying.

I'd prefer a smaler core group of friends where it's laid back and you're just genuinely happy for your buddy shooting a nice buck or whatever is harvested. When it turns into a who has the biggest wallet or weewee contest, I'm out. (probably cause I'll never win either of those! haha!)

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly, for that kind of money you should be able to find a good piece of land that you could lease and have to yourself. Even at pretty high lease prices, you should be able to get 250 acres of good land for that kind of money. The hard part is getting the "Right" piece of ground for your money.

It doesn't take a giant tract of land to give you plenty of hunting opportunity. I only own 40 acres, but it has proven to be the "Right" 40 acres and I have been able to harvest several nice bucks off of it and the longer I have owned it, the better I have been able to manage it and hunt it. I've looked into leasing some addition property, but I just can't justify the costs since I have continued to be successful on my 40 acres. I will hunt public land to help keep the pressure off my place, but I tend to just get frustrated because there's just nothing like walking out my back door and down to a stand that I know bucks are walking by.

8. GoInLight

GoInLight Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Man, you have my dream scenario. I think just the enjoyment of seeing and harvesting deer off of your own dirt would be the ultimate.

9. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Or, you could take that same $5000 every year and hunt in Alberta, where it's probably more like 3500-5000 acres of pristine farmland per hunter and you're hunting unmolested/pressured GIANTS. Did I mention it's guaranteed tags?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  10. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely true. $5k buys a man options. fair chase? Guaranteed makes me wonder. No offense what a hunter does with his own money.