PSE Question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Limbhanger, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Limbhanger

Limbhanger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't posted in a while and had a question with PSE bows.

I really like the features of the EVO 33in NXT and NTN, and was curious of the 10 turn limb bolts, from what I read?

I'm use to Mathews where 2-2 1/2 turns will put you through the full 10 pound range, whereas shooting 55lbs on a 60lb Mathews is no issue, but wasn't sure about the PSE? I know most claim shooting max is most efficient, but only backing a Mathews out a turn or so to get to 55, hasn't been an issue.

But wondering with a 60lb EVO to shoot 55lbs, how many turns will it take backing it off from 60? I know they have 50-60 lb limbs for the EVO, but didn't understand the 10 turn limb bolts? Surely hoping it would not require backing off 5 full turns on a 60lb bow to get to 55lbs? And if so, does the performance suffer backing these bows out, as I'm not familiar with the Evolve cams, but like their features.

Other question, why so expensive? LOL Seriously though I really like this bow, but can't see paying 1100-1200, for a bare bow. Right now I'm keeping my eyes on classifieds to hopefully pick one up, as I see them go for around 800 slightly used, but need to find out about the poundage question first. And for the fact I just recently ordered a brand new Traverse for 780.00, so the 1100 -1200, seems awful steep unless some are getting them much cheaper? Thanks

2. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know much about PSE bows, but would guess the limb bolts just have a finer thread or maybe less tension on them? If I really like a bow, the difference in how many turns were required to back the bow off 5 lbs would matter very little to me.
    I've always read the same thing, a bow is most "efficient" with the limbs "buried" in the pocket. The current bow I have is actually the first bow I've ever had that I actually turned down to 65 lbs, I always left my other bows buried at 70 lbs. I can't tell anything is different in my accuracy.
    I had a tech I used often (he retired, miss his good work) that told me he liked to put plastic washers in as spacers to keep them tight against something when backing them off was wanted. He would stack as many as needed to take up the space.
    Also, Mathews (I think the new VXR) and Bowtech (limb "locking" bolt) have systems that supposedly allow the bow to be as efficient as when the limbs are buried at any poundage.
    Sorry I can't help much with the PSE questions.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  3. Wibisono69

Wibisono69 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]

4. Ty L

Ty L Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot PSE. I'm not to familiar with the EVO but the limb bolts are visible through the riser and very easy to keep track of how much bolt you have left. I have the 10 turn limb bolts but my bow the Brute Force Lite has a lot more of a draw weight variation, about 20 pounds of variation. The bow performs very well with the poundage turned down because PSE limbs are under more tension the other bows. If you look at the limbs on a PSE they are at about a 45 degree angle to the riser compared to Matthews which is closer to 90 degrees. I hope at least some of this helps you out.

5. Limbhanger

Limbhanger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well don't have to worry about the PSE for now, maybe next year? As I decided on Mathews Traverse for now, so far I am really liking it, not a speed demon, but fast enough, and a very nice draw cycle and holds well at aim. Only mistake I made with it was buying into the intergraded QAD rest, which I personally don't care for, the only feature I like about it is, the way it mounts to the dovetail on the riser. So looking to get a Vapor trail dropaway rest eventually.

6. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You won’t regret the vapor trail limb driver. I wish Mathews had a 33”, 60-75lb 6” brace height, 350fps ibo bow.