Property Permission

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jake/OH, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Jake/OH

Jake/OH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt my parents property almost exclusively but this year I have wanted to expand my reach a little and ask the landowner behind us. Thing is they don't live on the property so the only way I can contact them is via mail and the only way I found their mailing address was through the public records search on the county website... So my question is am I out of line or "creepy" to contact these individuals to ask for permission if I have to tell them that i was snooping online and found their mailing address. I don't think so but I wanted to get some other opinions on it, It's killer property! Thanks

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The utilization of public records isn't creepy at all. I think it shows respect for them by not just hunting it despite knowing they may not have known if you had.

3. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not Creepy. It's good of you to ask. A face to face visit is harder to say no to FYI. You know their names. Dress nice but not like a sales man. Shave your face or at least trim everything neatly. Ask for permission. The worst they say is no.

4. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You're pretty close to me. I have property in Clermont and Adams. I did the same thing for the farm behind me in Adams county, it's not weird at all, you can actually work together and put together a QDM plan which you can both benefit from.

5. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think it depends on where your are located. I've had much better success with writing letters than face to face..I usually try to state in the letters though I understand it is tough sometimes to make a judgement of character through a letter and would love the opportunity to come talk about things face to face, but figured the letter a less intrusive way of opening up the idea.

6. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would send the letter. Just introduce yourself and tell them where you are located and hand write the whole thing.

7. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Its not creepy at all. I knew a guy who did the same thing to inquire about hunting. turns out the land owner lived in California and had inherited the land several years prior. They didn't even actually know where it was located they just knew they owned a place in IL. So he got permission to hunt and after the year was over they actually just asked him if he was interested in buying it so they talked price and turns out they just wanted to dump it so he got a great deal!

If the land borders your folks and nobody else hunts it you can always offer to watch over the property for them in exchange for hunting rights. As a neighbor they would probably go for it.

8. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Even though they do not live nearby, if it is neighboring your parents land, chances are good they know your parents to a point. Have you asked your parents if they have met/know the landowners?

9. bowsie15

bowsie15 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nope not creepy the first time I asked to hunt property I was pretty intimidated. But then I thought about it the worse case scenario is you are at the same point after asking that you are now not able to hunt. So you can't lose by asking.

10. Jake/OH

Jake/OH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I'm 20 I still live at home and my mom and dad don't know them. They bought the property about 10 months ago according to the sales report.

11. Jake/OH

Jake/OH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's exactly what I am saying in my letter, I said I can keep an eye on it or mow the large overgrown field or something, we have some equipment that could make it easier on the owners to care for the place.

12. bowsie15

bowsie15 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good idea at least offer

13. Jake/OH

Jake/OH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm about 10 miles south of the Preble County line and about 12-15 miles from the indiana state line so I'm in the north west portion of the county

14. Jmcarlson6641

Jmcarlson6641 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think this sounds like a great way to go about it! I have never done this myself but think it sounds like a very respectful way to go about things.