Propane shortage

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by BJE80, Jan 24, 2014.

1. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This is starting to get bad. I purchased propane for our tank for $0.89/gallon in summer. Most of the time it goes for around $1.29/gallon. The previous all-time high for our supplier is $1.99. Today the price is $4.99/gallon. No, that is not a typo. That would cost over $2000 to fill a 500 gallon tank. These are just crazy numbers.

They are also rationing propane to 100 gallons per trip. That isn't a lot of gas when the temps are below zero.

Natural gas is also increasing in price.

U.S. propane shortage hits millions during brutal freeze | Reuters

Worried propane customers scramble to heat their homes

Things could get ugly if the weather stays this cold for much longer.

2. WesternMdHardwoods

WesternMdHardwoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I at first was pissed that you are getting propane for $0.89/gallon, but now I feel bad for ya!

I used to pay $2.45/gal, I just had the tank filled a couple weeks ago and it was $2.79/gal......I was not happy about the 30cent increase, I couldnt imagine how you are!

3. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A friend on Facebook just said it cost him $1500 for propane... And they didn't even fill it up.

Absolutely insane. Luckily we are locked in at $1.29/gallon because of our chicken barn (4 1000 gallon tanks). They are limiting the amount they bring here as we'll..: they brought 300 gallons last time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Unreal. I just heard $5.60 from a lady here. My 200gal tank is around 40% right now. This makes me want a wood furnace 10x more than ever before.

5. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    for the life of me, as cheap as wood stoves are, why don't you propane guys get wood stoves? They would pay for themselves in no time!

6. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  7. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I tell you what Tony. You stay at my cabin and so you can keep putting wood in. They don't load themselves ya know. :D

8. WesternMdHardwoods

WesternMdHardwoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly, because I am horrible at making fire and keeping it going! If you gave me a gallon of gas and a box of matches I still couldn't make it burn!
    I lived at the inlaws for a little, while in the process of buying our home, I dreaded getting a fire going in there wood furnace. It mostly ended up with me filling the house full of smoke and saying the heck with it and putting on a hoody!

9. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wow those are crazy prices. Glad I have natural gas heat. I average around $60 per month to heat my house during the winter.

10. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I heard this story on wpr (Wisconsin public radio for those of you outside of Wisconsin) today. And somebody on the show said how, when America is producing more energy today than ever before in history, is energy so expensive. That got me thinking quite a bit. Somebody is making a lot of money.

11. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Wood isn't always easy to come by for some people and buying isn't all that cheap either.

With that said, I'm debating if we're going to put in an outdoor wood furnace when we build a new house in a couple years.

12. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A friend of mine just put one in, looks like a pretty neat deal.

13. englum_06

Dislikes Received:
    Looking on the Central Boiler website, looks like I could buy one for about $5,000. They offer financing for $134/month. I've burned over $1,000 worth of LP in the last couple of months, and clearly, with my tank sitting at 35% I'm not even close to what my end total for the winter will be.

14. englum_06

Dislikes Received:
    Just out of curiousity, how many cords would you all expect a decent-insulated, 1400sf house to burn through in a winter? After reading up it seems 5-8? Trying to figure out how much of my own "labor" I'd be spending.

15. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    In my area, there are always free hardwood trees.. Some are blow downs, some want them cut down, some are already cut and put at the road... Always.... But it is a ton of labor and you better have a homesteading gene in you, lol

I only assist with wood, but the my furnace hardly runs as we bank it good before bed and before we leave for work.... I like your numbers.... 5-8 is about right

I would not get an outside stove.... It seems to me you would lose too much efficiency.... I love wood stoves in a house.... My other home the wood burner was in the basement my. There was a hood over the stove that caught the heat with a fan motor that blew it into the ducting... The floors were warmed, the basement was dry and there was heat coming out of the vents.... It was slick

16. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This. Wood heat is not for everybody. I have a unlimited supply of wood about 2.5 hours from my house but I'm not putting a wood burner in my house.

17. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't get an indoor heater because I'm not looking for a supplement when we build, but a main source of heat. Our only options at the farm are propane or electric. The thing about wood heat is its a pain in the ***. Cutting, hauling, splitting and feeding the fire constantly. So, I'm going to do some research on corn burning stoves. Cheap fuel, easy to handle and with a hopper there would be very little refilling and I may be able to grow it myself. I've got a few years before I do anything so I have a lot of time to research.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  18. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Keep me posted on your research as I would be interested.... As I get older, I am sure the work involved with wood will lose its luster.

Anyone burn coal?

19. englum_06

Dislikes Received:
    Just talked to a guy who cuts and sells wood... He sells it for $100 a cord.

I could buy wood and still spend a quarter of what I will this year on propane...

20. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How about a pellet stove? Anyone use one?