proof is in the pudding! this is why I food plot!

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by pastorandrew, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome man.

I have to say that without your help this past spring I would have been lost with plotting. I hope to expand even further next year!

2. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like its definitely worked out for ya.

I've been mulling over trying this as well. The farm I hunt is mostly ag fields and early to mid season is pretty decent but like you said once the crops come out and like now most of the ground has been worled its pretty slow. Still have clover fields and some rye but would like to figure out something that will help out a little more.

3. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will be sending you a private message soon!! I also have 40 acres to manage.

The problem I have is that I have 20 acres of corn/beans that generally disappears mid October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. pastorandrew

pastorandrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am in central Michigan, around the mt. pleasant area. if you are having trouble holding buck I would bet it has something to do with pressure or cover. I find if I put to much pressure on them they will bounce! one key is to have sanctuary areas where they like to bed. this way they will feel comfortable on your property all day long.

5. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Food plots don't hold deer, security cover and bedding does. Plots, especially smaller ones in size or winding in style, provide a safe food source that deer feel safe visiting earlier before dark or later after light they would open fields. Small plots can see a ton of scraping/rubbing/seeking due to their secure feelings given to the deer. Thick cover for both bedding and transition areas as well as thickening up areas around plots is huge to their success. First step to any property transformation is to get rid of the open park feeling if it exists.

6. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That is awesome, Brother!!!

Hey, your wife and Dad look just like each other :D

You said the first pic was a buck your dad shot :D

7. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Those are great deer for Michigan and it sure goes to show how hard work can pay off!! I'd say you have a great management program going as well to get deer to grow like that. Will be looking forward to following your plantings this year and will definitely be taking some notes!!

8. pastorandrew

Dislikes Received:

PT! It is the buck my dad shot, i took that pick while he was getting the truck. she looks better behind a deer than him! lol

9. pastorandrew

Dislikes Received:
    by the way we didn't kill them all off! lol this guy has been here all year. I believe him to be a 2.5 yr old buck. let him go with a bow. should be a giant next year. I have one other 8 pt on camera till the last day of gun season. this picture is in the brassicas plot. they are really pounding it right now. every night there is 25-30 in it just prior to dark. [​IMG]