Pronghorn Antelope

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Brknarrow, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Brknarrow

Brknarrow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am trying to start preparing for a Speedgoat hunt in 2013. Wyoming looks to be the best destination and just a few questions for those that have either done or currently reside there

Are the tags on a draw system
    Did you try public land or a guide - if Public which areas of the state are best for a goat
    How many days did it take to get a goat
    and how much $$$ should I prepare for

Thanks

2. GutHook

GutHook Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Tags are a draw. I have gotten 2 goats from WY being an out of stater, only takes a few points to draw. I was on private land and it was DIY with my dad and his friend who know the property pretty well and have killed record book goats on it. Only took a few days to get both my goats. I can't say how much it cost because it was paid for by Bank of Dad haha so I have no idea, but ours was fairly inexpensive with the only costs being tags, gas, property access, hotel, and food. Here is my last goat, it scored 78 or 79. I missed on a monster 86 inch buck that my brother got :(

Antelope WY.jpg

3. Brknarrow

Brknarrow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    very nice, congrats and thanks for the Info

4. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I killed the goat in my avatar last September in Wyoming. First time to bowhunt pronghorns and had a great time. Mine scored high 70's and was killed on private ground. I applied for a tag in a zone that does not normally fill (not a great trophy area) and paid a trespass fee to a rancher that provided a cabin and access to his land. We all (5) took nice goats with most being P&Y or better. We were the only ones on the ranch for the 4 days. I think it cost less than $2000 total not counting the cost of the mount. It was well worth it in my opinion. We really had a great time. Best of luck.

5. skers85

skers85 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going on my first pronghorn hunt in nebraska there are unlimited archery tags and alot of public land as well as friendly ranchers who most likely glad to let you hunt. We'll see how it goes hopefully we can get "trick" some!!!

6. Krohboy

Krohboy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm currently on my first speed goat hunt. SD all public in two days I've stalked on 9 to just under 100 yards and missed one at 60. I'll warn you it's addicting and I know I'll be back

Sent from iPhone

7. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You'll have a lot of options to consider... If your thinking WY, first thing you should do is go out and buy a antelope WY pref point.. You still have a few weeks to buy one and it could come in handy next year depending on what area/option you decide to go with...

Even having just one pref point is sometimes enough to up the odds considerably on many of the average/decent units...