Principal to the high FOC penitration

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by James D Jones, Mar 14, 2019.

1. James D Jones

James D Jones Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So from what I'm understanding , the idea behind the higher FOC arrows penetrating better than non high FOC arrows is the less shaft flexation closer to the tip.
    I could be totally off base with this thought but if some of you with a better understanding could help explain a bit better I'd greatly Appreciate it.

2. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So FOC really doesn't have a ton to do with penetration. No matter where the weight is on the shaft, the KE and momentum are going to be the same. The benefit of a high FOC is accuracy and forgiveness. Think about when you take a metal tip dart and throw it straight up in the air, it always corrects itself so the point lands first. Same premise if your form was a little off it will correct itself faster than if the weight was spread out across the whole shaft. That being said, I have a set arrow weight in mind and just let my FOC fall where it falls. I know its high but I dont care enough to calculate it out. If you are wanting to go down the rabbit hole, look up the Valkyrie archery and their arrow system. Give the guys a call and tell them your bow specs and they will build you an arrow setup that is all FOC'ed up.

Edit: to your point of shaft flexation and penetration - from what I understand the higher the foc, the shorter the time period that your arrow is in the archerys paradox, so I guess there might be some truth to it but I have never heard of it explained like that before. If there is some gain, I wouldn't think its measurable but maybe someone does know

Russ morton likes this.