Pretty Good Afternoon

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Flooper888, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Flooper888

Flooper888 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had a pretty nice afternoon hunt. Tried something new with my dad. What we did was we got the rattling horns(I know it is too early for rut, but we decided we'd try anyways) and we walked down into a clearing. There was a tree in the middle of the clearing and I sat next to it. My dad sat off to the side, but I could still see his face and body so we could communicate. I ranged all the nearby entry points for deer to know what I was dealing with. My dad started rattling, nothing for about 15 or 20 minutes. Then I hear my dad do a little whistle, which is our signal for he sees something. I look around and notice 2 coyotes running by at about 30 yards. I pull up to draw, but unfortunately they had already moved on out of range by the time I was ready. Oh well, still cool we saw them. So we get back to the truck and drive over to this creek and find a clearing on the way to a watering hole. Then we do the same thing as the first clearing. My dad starts rattling and after about 10 minutes, 2 little bucks come running in at about 60 yards. Obviously I could not shoot them at this distance, but it was nice to see some bucks come into the rattling. Then they moved on, but about 5 minutes later after my dad rattled and used the grunt call they came back. It was still too far for a shot and they weren't what I am looking for anyways. Then about 5 minutes later another buck came in from the trees at about 20 yards, but he must have spotted me or my dad so I didn't get that good of a luck at him. So didn't bag anything today, but it was a pretty exciting afternoon nonetheless. I forgot to mention we saw about 20 turkeys walking through one of our wheat fields on the way in! I'll be back out next weekend to get after those bucks again!

:ninja: :deer:

2. Saltysakz

Saltysakz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Go get em flooper. Hope you get one of those bucks down! Good luck.

3. liwhitetail

liwhitetail Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    awesome good luck to you!

4. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a great afternoon ! Good Luck !

5. bowsie15

bowsie15 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds good glad the rattling worked!!!!