Pretty depressed.

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by CoveyMaster, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That sucks. I had to put my lab down last year when the vet found cancer. He was already out for exploratory surgery because he was having digestive problems so I told the vet to just not wake him up. That dog went to hell and back with me and he was literally there by my side for some tough times. Next to loosing my brother I don't think I've been that upset over loosing anyone. They are family members that's for sure.

2. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear this Covey.

3. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Tough to hear bud, rough saying goodbye to a loyal friend.

4. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it. She's not gone yet and I won't have her put down unless there's absolutely no choice left. I lost a dog I'd had for 14 years just before I got Sherri (current Weimaraner). She started getting nose bleeds (probably from a tumor) and finally one day we couldn't get it stopped and she was pretty much out of it from misery. I had to have a vet come out and put her down. Had never had to have that done before and it about killed me, the sense of betrayal I felt from basically killing my own best friend I'd grown up with was devastating.

Vet told me they could give her chemo at a cost of $500-$1000 for one drug type treatment or a combo of two drugs for a cost of $2500. The bad thing is I'd pay 10,000 to fix her and do it without a second thought but what I worry about is spending the money, adding to her misery for the short time she has left and then losing her anyway. I almost think it would be more humane to just keep her comfortable for what time she has left and let nature take it's course. The vet didn't do any testing for one thing, just went off gut feeling based on her nodes being enlarged. I'm going to keep her on the prednisone and see how she does, unless I change my mind, I don't think we'll do the chemo, they only gave it like a 30% chance of working anyway.

I've always had dogs, usually several at a time and usually adopted from some jackwagon dumping them way out here away from town. I've lost 8 dogs in total over the years, most of a ripe old age with two exceptions. Of those two, one ran off and didn't come back (think a neighbor shot her) and the other a coon dog that just up and died for no apparent reason. I have four dogs now including Sherri. The other three of which were also "gifted" to me from local yokals dumping dogs. Sherri is only one of two dogs I've ever actually bought, the other was an english setter. Best money spent...ever, on both of them. I don't know if I'll ever buy another dog or not when these are gone. I suspect I will but right now it doesn't seem too appealing.

5. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like your plan covey. I have lost a couple good ones over the years, but it will kill me when I lose my current one. Nobody knows the dog better than you so go with your gut feeling and if anyone disagrees, screw em.

6. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear this Covey. Hopefully you can keep her around for a while still.

7. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dang Covey. I'm very sorry to hear this. I know my dog is my best friend and I know how you feel. Hope everything goes as smooth as possible. I know you will do all you can.

8. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear that. Been there, done that, will do it again.

Anybody who uses the phrase "just a dog" has never truly befrended a dog.

9. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear, Covey. Hardest thing I've had to deal with yet was losing my yellow lab a few years back. That's a bond that cannot be explained or replaced.

10. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We get lumps removed from my 9 year old pet for the last 5 years, all but one has been like a jelly mass the other one turned hard in just a few weeks so the vet took out the surrounding tissue and she does has cancer but they think they got it all. Chemo cause more harm then good with the same out come. My 2 cents
    My dog Lucy is doing well we have changed to a all protein diet as long as she is happy and can get around I will spend as much as I need to.

11. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I feel your pain brother, the worst part of having a dog is the day you have to say good bye.

12. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks again everyone for the kind words.
    Sherri has been on the prednisone now for a couple of days and has been vastly improved today as far as getting around, appetite and the sparkle in her eyes. I don't know how long that will last but for now I'm happy with that. Checkup next Tuesday, no idea what the prognosis will be but her normal vet will be back and I trust him farther than the fill in that was there last week.