Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Predator camo

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by buckeye, May 31, 2009.

1. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It seems to me.... Everyone likes fall brown better than deception brown.... Seems everyone likes spring green better than green deception.

But yet, they phased out fall brown in favor of deception brown and they shove the deceptions down our throats at every turn....

You can't get anything in fall gray or the now seems to be extinct fall brown (other than gray wolf woolens). But you can get anything in deception brown.

Why?

2. Buck Magnet

Buck Magnet Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Scott..... please stop thinking :busted: :evil: :d :d :d :d

3. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Scott, I am total agreement with you. If you find the answer, let me know.

4. Double Creek

Double Creek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I 100% agree. I don't understand it either. The demand for the old stuff is as high as ever, meanwhile you can't hardly give away the deception patterns.

5. mobow

mobow Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Why? Really, we need not look very far for the answer. They have an awful lot of coin ponied up in designing, marketing and producing the deception. They're gonna market it to absolute death to get their money back out of it.

I agree though......I'm not a predator guy, but if I were it would be fall grey no doubt.

6. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have any idea... but I agree totally.

7. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I actually like the Green Deception better than Spring Green.

But I like Fall Grey better than Brown Deception for treestand hunting. IF I was on the ground, my opinion would be just the opposite.

I am one of the few who likes the deceptions, BUT if you are in a treestand the contrast of the old patterns can't be beat IMO.

8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    It's all about shelf appeal my friend. The Deception patterns have the "look" that the Average Joe thinks will perform better in the field. Keep in mind those of us who participate in forum discussions, perform our own field evaluations, etc are still the minority when it comes to total numbers of hunters. Our numbers are continuing to grow, but ol' Backwoods Bubba stills rules the hunting roost and influences the majority of product and manufacturing decisions.

But, the times they are a changin'. :D

9. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    exactly! The only thing that somewhat puzzles me, is that MOST backwoods bubbas would scoff at the idea of using Predator Camo over Realtree/Mossy Oak.

I don't see them improving on Fall Grey in any way for a treestand setting. Period.

10. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There is one in every crowd :confused: :d

11. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Fall Grey Predator suit...good stuff...really breaks up your profile.

12. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I thought I'd given the answer to your Fall Brown question several times over the years, but you may have missed it... The simple answer is they thought that Fall Gray (FG) and Fall Brown (FB) weren't differentiated enough to the average customer, so they chose one to go with and let FB fall by the wayside -- at least for their own production purposes.

As far as pushing Deception over what I consider the "classic patterns" devised by my friend Marc Barger, I've had several conversations with Frank about this, who is the president and owner of the company. I think there's some merit to what's been posited above, but you can bet I've pleaded my case in as compelling a way as I know how to convince him that the classic patterns are much preferred by the bowhunting elite.

He seems to be listening to SOME extent; at this year's ATA, they unveiled some new fleece offerings in FG, and I was told more were in the works.

13. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I understand that fall gray and fall brown are similar (just different shades of color)... But what I do not understand is phasing fall brown out and replacing it with an inferior (IMO) deception brown. They must feel there is a market for brown camo or they wouldn't have developed brown deception.

I think they should have left good enough alone. I will wear asat 10 out of 10 times before brown deception (during foliage change through leaf drop). But will choose spring green and fall gray most times before asat before foliage change (spring green) and after leaf drop (fall gray).

14. Hardcorehunter

Hardcorehunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They are putting out fall gray in fleece very soon in pants and coats and will be adding fleece pants in deception brown to their existing line of fleece coats. Also fall gray will available within a month or so for bow dips

15. zimmer/wi

zimmer/wi Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dont mean to hijack this thread, but where do you by the predator camo?

16. Hardcorehunter

Hardcorehunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Many places, Predators website. Just google predator camo.

17. jeffb

jeffb Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm really disappointed they dropped Fall Brown (and felt the Evolution was a good idea to keep???)

Frankly, I don't care for the Deception patterns at all- the colors of the brown and green Deceptions are too contrasted (lighter lights, and darker darks) and it's far more "big & blotchy" at a moderate distance than "confusing & busy" like the original Predator patterns are. The Deceptions tend to stick out more in the field as they absorb natural light/colors around them and get more of a "monotone" color going on. It's not a blob effect, but it's leaning more towards that.

Therefore, I'll prolly be buying an ASAT 3D suit instead of Predator camo this year.

18. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry but another thread highjack here. I've been using Realtree camo but would be open to trying this Predator camo. What pattern would you recommend for early season? The woods are still real green here when bow season opens in mid September.

19. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Early season I'd go with Spring Green if treestand hunting, you'll disappear.

There are uses for the deceptions over normal patterns. If I head up to Kodiak Island, I fully intend to have green deception as an outer layer, tell me it won't be the best suited for a backdrop such as this.

[​IMG]

Treestand- Original
    Ground- I think I prefer the deception

20. madhunter

madhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think I am going to try to hunt in jeans and a flannel once this year:)