Pre-rut best week to hunt?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Masskiller, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Masskiller

Masskiller Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys
    After my experiences of hunting in November with the pre rut / rut ... Every year i take a week off an head to PA were I have a camp with buddies .. Seems every year we choose the wrong week or something does go right as wee hunt .. I was just wondering what week would be best to hunt the Pre- rut this year? The first week of Nov or 2nd? Last year I took the 2nd week an saw no signs of activity just wondering what u guys think when the best chances are best to catch a big boy looking love Thanks

2. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In NE Ohio I got lots of responses to late October/ Early November rattling. Would suggest the week of the 1st through the 8th, but its weather permitting of course. Cant beat hunting the first morning frost in October when theyre scrambling for food and you got a nice plot set up

3. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last years rut was really strange up here in pa. Almost seemed non existant honestly

4. Jake C.

Jake C. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Usually in Indiana its last week of October or the first week of November before the rut kicks off.

5. Bronson

Bronson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I believe they are easier to pattern in the early season. They are still focused on eating and sleeping. With only two things on their mind, setting up between food and bedding is hot during the early weeks of season. Pay close attention to your trail cams to determine what time of day you are seeing the majority of the activity.

6. AWK08

AWK08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    PA. here
    nov. 8th and 11th produced kills for my group last year, both....... came in to breeding doe type calling,
    late afternoon/early evening with plenty of light left, if i remember correctly, temps were mild mid 50's
    both were alone as they had been during the 1st week of nov, yet we had not witnessed any bucks actually chasing.
    can't go wrong with either week of nov, but i'd pick the 2nd week if i had to chose.

7. Berwickbuckmaster

Berwickbuckmaster Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly in the past two years I saw more rutting activity during the two weeks in between archery and rifle season (week before and of Thanksgiving) than i did in the first two weeks of november...