Pre-planning climber ready trees?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Shane0709, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What do you all think about this. I’m thinking of trying to use my line wolf hand climber more even though I’m hunting all private for the simple fact that I can move according to where the deer are if my ladder stands aren’t panning out. There are tons of tall straight trees almost everywhere that would be perfect. I was thinking of maybe finding some prospective trees that I wanted to maybe hunt and just simply wrapping a piece of that orange reflective trail marking tape around the base, and then putting an “X” on my digital aerial map just to know the general location. Has anyone tried anything like this? Would it work? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

w33kender likes this.
  2. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Lots of folks go with that style, its a little late to be going around scouting now though it would probably do more harm than good. I love my climber for being able to swing over to a new area based on what I see, but I have a good amount of good trees for the climber.

w33kender likes this.
  3. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah it would work. You may also want to climb them in advance and trim any limbs, put up a bow holder and a pull up rope. You could even hang a life line in advance. Anything you can do In advance will help.

w33kender likes this.
  4. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That is almost exactly what I do. My main hunting land is about 300 acres and I have about 40-50 trees on that property that I climb. I tack a piece of orange surveyors tape to the base of the tree with a bright eyes. Each tree has shooting lanes cleared. Granted it is a TON of work to maintain 50 stand sites, but it pays off.
    We had a hunting group of 100 guys hunting a 3000 acre preserve for deer management. We kept track of how often and how many stand sites each guy hunted. Overwhelmingly, the guys who bounced around the most were much more successful than they guys who hunted the same one or two stands...It wasn't even close. My success has skyrocketed since I started limiting each stand to no more than 2 or 3 hunts per year.

w33kender likes this.
  5. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You all think it’s too late to do this now? Maybe not worth the disturbance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Personally I think it would be fine.

7. Anthony2991

Anthony2991 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last season I would scout an area midday setup and hunt it evening and the following morning. I got both of my deer the following morning doing this.

Attached Files:

8. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I won't hunt from a tree that I haven't pre-selected and cleared lanes for. You don't want to climb a new tree at the last minute only to find it doesn't offer any good shooting lanes.
    The trees I hunt from already have cleared lanes and a tree hook already screwed in at hunting height. This tells me where I need to be situated (height/direction) in the dark. No fumbling around spooking game.

ruck139 likes this.
  9. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think it would be too much distu
    Yes probably too much disturbance unless youre doing the way Anthony described, going in early for a same day sit or so. That being said, I would be happy to go in and risk the "disturbance" based on evidence of deer movement. So I wouldnt probably go around randomly looking for trees but if I noticed deer movement in another area or wasnt seeing anything in my area then I would go for it anyway. I love being mobile!

Anthony2991 likes this.
  10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't see deer avoidance after I go thru my pasture pretty much every day I am home. People tend to overthink deer behavior.

Shane0709, Anthony2991 and gri22ly like this.
  11. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not only is it NOT to late, it's the best time to find a core and predict when and where the next shift will be.

I've hunted this buck hard for the last six weeks...finally found his bed by a process of elimination. Walked all around the bed when I found it, hung a cam to confirm it was his bed, checked it two days later to make sure. Picked a tree out for my climber about 75 yards from his bed. I'm going back in 10-11 o'clock tonight to pull the cam out...the hunt is over...Now I'm just waiting on the right wind to slip in and kill em.

20180820_133808.jpg
    MFDC1719.JPG

w33kender likes this.
  12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nice work good luck.

gri22ly likes this.
  13. gri22ly

Dislikes Received:
    Thank's Sota

I'll post more pics of this buck tonight...after walking all over the area two different times in the last couple weeks and going in and pulling a card once. And this is on public land.

w33kender likes this.
  14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Dang must be deep hope some yahoo does not screw it up for you.

15. gri22ly

Dislikes Received:
    Isolated....and very, very small. He's only been using about 5 acres of his core for the last couple months.

I need to get on him before our acorns start to drop, that will change everything and I'll be back to square one.

w33kender likes this.
  16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well you have done your home work and done it well.

w33kender likes this.
  17. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think your plan is very doable now. Don't over-trim for shooting lanes, though. Nor over trim your surroundings in the tree. All the visibility you create for a TV perfect shot can also make you stand out. The less you disturb, the better.

18. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nope, do it now. As long as you let the area rest a week or two, even the most shy deer will get back to their normal routine. I like to hunt multiple areas not just because of fear of being patterned by the deer, but more so because mature deer tend to travel very little during the day, and bouncing around gives me a better chance of stumbling upon a big boy's little core area.

19. gri22ly

Dislikes Received:
    I said I would post him up....here he is, and standing in almost the exact same spot as a nice little 2yo that has started following him around.
    18-4.jpg