PR49 packraft

Discussion in 'West' started by Where's Bruce?, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Where's Bruce?

Where's Bruce? Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Orange County-People's Republik of Mexifornistan
    So I acquired a PR49 HD raft with inflatable floor for a fly-in, float out hunt in AK. I have very little experience with packrafts and worry a bit...mostly about what happens if a bear eats it in the night. I decided to test it out and here's a photo of my inaugural will whitewater ride (as shown on Facebook).

[​IMG]

Here's the same shot in real life.

[​IMG]

2. wl704

wl704 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Two thoughts:
    1) Bears eating the raft may not be an issue unless there is blood / meat residue on the raft. Hanging any food /meat away from camp should help, along with giving the raft a rinse out each pull out of the river may help. Itigate.

Not sure if your thinking about a portable electric fence, but it's another possible mitigant.

2) you didn't say what you're hunting. I assume caribou maybe... I don't know that that raft would be big enough for moose. Could be a tight fit, with you, gear and, depending on the animal - meat/cape/head or horns.

Good luck though!

3. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Doesn’t matter about the blood or meat, bears are curious animals. Buddy of mine had the seat eaten of his quad in Minnesota on a bear hunt. Karma can be a ........!