Potential form help

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bgusty, Aug 6, 2014.

1. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've noticed on a fair number of my shots that my bow seems to twist a little to the right after I shoot. I think this would be caused by hand torque, but I don't know how I am getting that. I believe I am using the proper grip (settle the grip in the crook, hand turned to roughly a 45 degree angle. I basically just rest the fingertips of my top 3 fingers on the grip, and my pinky doesn't touch). I make sure to align the level in my sight when I shoot, and really try to maintain my follow through. Is there something that I wouldn't be noticing that would cause my bow to twist to my right after I shoot? I realize this sounds super vague and it's probably not something you could tell me without seeing, but I thought I would float this out there and get some thoughts.

2. Keith Mako

Keith Mako Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Try not touching your fingers at all if you have a wrist band on your bow.

3. jetlynk

jetlynk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lots of time myself I think Im not torqung the bow but when I take my fingers off the bow and just push againt the bow with my palm my shots are well grouped and on target. Try to really focus on not grabbing the bow and maybe have someone watch you shoot.

4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    How are your arrows flying and grouping? Are you having accuracy problems or are you just asking because of a perceived issue? I only ask because some movement in the bow is normal after the shot. Depending on the weight and balance of your bow it's certainly not uncommon for it to move or tip a certain way after the arrow has been released.

Also, watch your grip after the shot. Many people have a tendency to "grab" the grip after they shoot to avoid dropping their bow which could be causing your twist.

5. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My arrows are grouping well. On a rare occasion one of the arrows will appear to fishtail and hits the target with the shaft a little angled. That doesn't happen much though, and the bow and rest were all just recently tuned at a real pro shop.

6. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This... and the occasional fish-tailer is likely grabbing just before the release. Try getting really close to the target where you can't miss and see what happens when you concentrate on not gripping. Also be careful of dumping your bow arm at the shot... just keep aiming until you hear the arrow hit. A lot of form issues are caused by archers trying too hard to watch their arrow.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014