Posted signs

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Itswhatwedooutdoors6, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Itswhatwedooutdoors6

Itswhatwedooutdoors6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How close do you believe you can set up to a posted sign while still being ethical and respectful?

2. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How fast will your deer die? If you have any inclination at all that your deer, once shot, may make it over the property line then you are too close.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

3. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    That being said, I have never had an animal I shot, other than elk, make it more than 100 yards

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

4. dprsdhunter

dprsdhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It would have a lot to do with how much room the guy hunting the posted property stayed back.

5. dprsdhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dang, Preacher Tony would have to stay 700 yards off the line......:poke:

6. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    :lol::lol:

7. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would hunt 1 foot from it if the spot was good. As long as your shot doesnt break their line I dont see any prob with it. why have X acres if you only use Y acres.

8. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    What if the deer runs onto the posted land and dies? No guarantee that the landowner will let you on to retrieve.

9. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ive never heard of a state where the game warden or police wont help you there. Its against the law where I hunt to stop a hunter from tracking game onto a property. A simple call should fix that issue. Its a good concern though and I am sure in some cases if you have a bad relationship with the other land owner it can cause more issues. Guess thats a case by case thing. I wouldnt let it stop me though personally.

10. dprsdhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The easiest thing is to work it out ahead of time............you let me get my deer and i let you get yours.

Unless it has recently changed In illinois the land owner can legally stop you from retrieving your deer.
    Nothing Game warden can do if they say no

11. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Real good point too!

12. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I respect property lines on my placement, meaning 1 foot off the line if the set up dictates it. I will not shoot over property lines nor cross them without permission first.

13. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Aside from deer recovery already discussed and assuming the land you are hunting is private as well, I think it's a simple as asking yourself how far do you want their hunters off of your property line?

I know a guy at work that gets permission to hunt land that isn't really huntable and sets up on the neighboring property lines. He's not real popular with his locals. Respect goes bothe ways and a call to the land owner may not be a bad idea, might even work out in your favor.

14. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ^X2 on this. I couldn't care less how close I set up on a property line unless it was to close to a house.

15. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How well do you handle temptation? :D I hunted a fence line in September as the deer were coming from the land I was hunting to an alfalfa field in Wyoming. The landowner with the alfalfa had already told me that he would not allow retrieval of a deer off his property so I knew that going into it. I watched three deer between 130 and 160 feed just over the fence line and continually had second thoughts about shooting one that came to the fence from my side. If I shot, would he continue the way he was going and jump the fence or turn and come back onto the property? Well, the buck came in quickly and jumped the fence without slowing down, so I didn't have to worry about it. :) Looking back, I won't hunt that fence line again because he odds are against me that it would go well if I shot a deer.

16. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would check the laws on it but I am pretty sure they can not hold your deer like that. If you shot it legally on your land, you should be able to recover it where ever it goes. But I do not know the laws where you are so I could be wrong.

17. MassBow413

MassBow413 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ive hunted within 20 yards. Im still on non posted land. If shot and the deer goes over the border than you can contact local fish and game and they will go over and get the deer with you

18. WiRutJunkie

WiRutJunkie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Communication is key! Earlier the better too, before the season starts. When I get a new property I always try to call the landowners neighbors as a courtesy so they know me and my truck. Most of the time they are cool with me retrieving deer so I may hunt a little closer to the line than normal. This year I actually had a neighbor invite me to hunt his land as well! Doubled my property size with a phone call :)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  19. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In Wyoming they don't have to let you go after an animal. The game wardens encourage you to first contact the landowner (after the animal goes on their property) then call them if that doesn't work and they will try to talk to the landowner. This guy is a knucklehead and does his hunting after dark... he doesn't like game wardens either. His son-in-law, who is law abiding, got us on the property to hunt but won't even talk to his step-dad about hunting.

20. Carl77

Carl77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im going to hunt my land. That being said, communicate with bordering landowners. Were on a phone call basis where if you shoot one and it crosses, call me and ill meet you to retrieve it.