Post Season Scouting?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Jmichaelsan, Dec 8, 2021.

1. Jmichaelsan

Jmichaelsan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody else look forward to post season scouting?? Getting to walk in areas you would never walk into like bedding areas. Trying to set a strategy for next season. Or maybe finding sheds depending on when you do your post season scouting. Is this a normal thing? Lol

Shocker99 likes this.
  2. Tink-a-Link

Tink-a-Link Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I already got to do a little of this early in November when I was tracking my buck. I busted a big buck out of a spotty marsh with some high/dry spots that I'm going to seek permission for next year that is adjacent to the property I shot my buck on. I'm assuming that based on the lack of 'posted/no trespassing' signs that i should have no objection. Plus, all it is, is a marsh that will be tough to hunt, but not impossible on a windy day. It would be a good spot to get into for a morning hunt our an all day rut hunt, but difficult to sneak out of undetected. It'll be fun to try to get to know it this winter.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Jmichaelsan likes this.
  3. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes it’s a normal thing, scouting is key to success. Shed hunting is when I do my damage on new props. Have fun with it and get some bone for the mantle!

Jmichaelsan likes this.
  4. Jmichaelsan

Jmichaelsan Newb

Dislikes Received:

That sounds very promising, If you can get that permission it should be amazing. An update would be nice later down the line. I’m scouting an area similar to yours, I want to find the beds and trails in there and try to setup a cell cam in there up high in a tree and leave it just as a way to get my eyes in there. And then try to hunt the trail intersections or the transitional areas around the bedding. But I’ll get to that bridge when I cross it

5. Tink-a-Link

Tink-a-Link Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One of the difficult parts is that there are no trees in the marsh to post up in. There is a line of taller brushy stuff that is adjacent to the crick that runs through the middle, but apart from that, its either open marsh or cattails. It'll probably require a muck seat like you'd use for duck hunting and a pair of waders, but it should prove productive, and a style of deer hunting I've never tried before.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Jmichaelsan likes this.
  6. Jmichaelsan

Jmichaelsan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Depending on height of the cattails, I could see making a small area where you can sit, possibly enter from the back undetected with a shooting lane going to a trail. Quite a challenge for sure

7. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For 30 years that was my annual fun.
    Now days I mostly just hunt my own small piece and have stands set up to cover wind directions.
    That being said, I really miss those days scouting new places and stratelilizing future plans.

Jmichaelsan likes this.
  8. Jmichaelsan

Jmichaelsan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That’s awesome! That’s the ultimate end game, having my own place to hunt.

9. Backcountry Junkie

Backcountry Junkie Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm absolutely looking forward to post season scouting. I recently moved to a new state, so it will be awesome to get some boots on the ground without screwing up anyone elses hunt!

Jmichaelsan likes this.
  10. Jmichaelsan

Jmichaelsan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What state did you move to? If you don’t mind me asking

Backcountry Junkie likes this.
  11. Backcountry Junkie

Backcountry Junkie Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I moved from Nebraska to Illinois. Both pretty good states for deer hunting. Unfortunately, both are hunted pretty hard as well, so post season scouting will likely be a necessity for success next year.

Jmichaelsan likes this.
  12. Jmichaelsan

Jmichaelsan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Nice man, both are great states. I’m excited for you, would love to hunt states like that one day, whole different ball game.

13. Brian Walters

Brian Walters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nobody in our camp hunts this late in the season so I got out with my dad and we walked some areas of our property we don’t tamper with often and also walked a new 40 my dad bought before the season.

With some snow cover we found some bedding areas and some possible entrance areas to the stands on the new property. Overall with my dad and two uncles we own close to 300 acres and we put on about two miles in 2 1/2 hours. It was good exercise.

My uncle just picked up our sd cards from the after season cameras and we know of at least four 3.5 year old 8-pointers or larger that made it through. So if all make it through the offseason and stick around we should have six 3.5 year olds or older (four 4.5 or older!) for next season. Might get a couple in the 140” range depending how much of a jump the 4.5-5.5’s make.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
    Jmichaelsan and Tink-a-Link like this.