Possible rule amendment?

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by Fitz, Sep 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Could we make it so we can get 50 pts for our second or smaller buck? I was thinking it would be cool instead of being stuck with the points for our 1st buck. A best of 2 would be a cool improvement for the contest and increase scores for everyone.

2. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am not a captain but this thread is in a section where we can all voice are opinion. I dont like the idea of changing anything after the contest has already started. I know it was brought up before but it should have been voted on by a select few then. I think velvet adds more than 3-4 inches, I beleive it is closer to 10" and I do not think they should be penalized for that. I personally like it the way it is, for some one who is practicing deer management and shoots a doe he can help his team even if they sont get on a mature buck. I think if you start letting people use a second buck for a doe they are going to ask next if they can use the larger of the 2 bucks for there buck score. If you start changing now there will always be some one asking for another rule change...IMO why fix something that is not broken.

3. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am all for allowing a second buck to be used for 50 points.

4. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Is there any states that allow a second buck tag but no doe tags?

Shooting does is good management...

Is there anyone here that ONLY shoots bucks in states that have two buck tags and doe tags?

I like the ONE buck, ONE doe contest... It just makes sense.

What doesn't make sense is a second buck counting as 50 points, wouldn't that same hunter take a doe anyway?

5. Yagonyonok

Yagonyonok Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll start by saying I would prefer not to change the rules once the contest has started, but perhaps for next year we should consider this.

What about making the rule any two deer, but only the first buck can count for over 50 points. This would allow a meat hunter to submit two does for 100 pts.

6. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes i am...are you?

7. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would be in favor of allowing a second buck to be counted as 50 points. I do not think there should be multipliers for any specie. Who would determine the multiplier value?

8. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I don't plan on shooting a doe this year but I do plan on taking 2 bucks.

9. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    You guys are making the original question more complicated than it is. The question was, can a guy who gets no doe tags be able to use a second buck (if they get one) to be counted as a doe. Not the smaller of the two bucks, the second buck. For guys who get doe tags and multiple buck tags, tough.....you could count your first buck only and a doe.

The scenarios are getting out of control and will only make the contest more complicated.

10. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, Idaho where Troy hunts is one of them.

Shooting does is not always good management. Even Dr. Kroll is saying he made a mistake saying everyone should be shooting as many does as possible. There are getting to be lots of areas that shooting a doe is poor management because of lower than carrying capacity deer pops.

Who cares? This was about the guys who CAN'T shoot does. :)

So do I. But, it doesn't make sense. Not everyone can shoot both one buck and one doe. The only thing that every single person in the contest has in common is that they can shoot one buck. It should be a one buck contest and that's it. IMO.

No. Again, not everyone can shoot does.

11. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If they can not get a doe tag but are allowed 2 bucks then i believe it should be allowed.

12. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    After careful consideration, maybe we should just limit it to one deer per participant. Bucks worth score and does worth 50.

13. Oklahoma99

Oklahoma99 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    But what about the states that have the earn-a-buck program? They wouldn't have a chance to enter a buck. I think the two entry per participant idea is going to work better, and I think making a second buck worth just as much as a doe isn't a bad idea. I'm for the idea.

14. aaron21

aaron21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i agree completely!

15. demonpep

demonpep Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So many opinions. Lets vote already lol

16. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here it is. And I'd be in favor of it just like this.

The 24 hour deal, WAY too little time. BUT>> it should be like 72. Guys that wait to enter bucks for weeks suck.

17. Yagonyonok

Yagonyonok Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly, there are so many opinions, and there is no way to please everybody. My opinion is that we should leave this year alone, and let the captains get together and vote for next years rule changes after the contest is closed (maybe even give the winning captain two votes, that way Fergie will have a little more weight in the decision).

18. cmkilo02

cmkilo02 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    After reading everyones responses, I say we just leave it as is and during the off season, Fitz and the rest of the Administrators who run this forum and this contest can hash out more defined amendments. After that, we (the contestants) can provide input for minor changes ONLY. Ultimately, the creators of the contest should make the changes that the majority agrees with. If we don't like something, we don't sign up. It's that simple and to incorporate everyone's opinion from various states is impossible.

My vote: Leave it as it is. We already started.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  19. timmy_ar

timmy_ar Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am relatively new to the site but my understanding is that this contest is not in its first year. With that how have the other years been ran and that this is now just an issue that is arising?
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

20. Saskassasin

Saskassasin Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I vote to allow the second buck as a doe for points, the people who only get one tag are at a disadvantage weather it is a doe or a buck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.