Possible rule amendment?

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by Fitz, Sep 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking at changing the contest rules to allow hunter to use a second buck for their doe points. Your first buck will always be used for a total score, but then a second buck or doe could be used for the extra 50 pts.

This has been brought up before and I'm looking for your thoughts. I'll most-likely have the Captains vote on it next week. It would benefit many of our Western hunters that do not have doe tags. On the other hand, their season starts before most, and there are some guys out there that only get a single tag. So 'being fair' will never happen.

I'm on the fence with this, so push me one way or the other...

2. OutbackRyno

OutbackRyno Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds pretty logical to me. I think its at least a step closer to as fair as we can be.

3. jjnowak

jjnowak Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Makes sense to me.

4. CowboyColby

CowboyColby Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Fitz I'm on the fence too as this neither helps or hurts me as I can only get one tag. My only fear would be people waiting until both bucks had been shot before entering either deer so that the biggest buck counts as their buck. Then where do we draw the line? I can only get one deer tag so an elk should count for my doe :banghead:

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

5. jakeratt

jakeratt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I say that we allow the second buck to count as a doe. Either way if I have to nice bucks walk by I will take both of them. Even if it does not count on here. I understand the cheating theory but this sport is a lot like golf. If you want to cheat and use the foot wedge then do it. But its on your conscious not mine.

6. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    I'm on the fence also as they get to shoot a velvet buck which I don't here in Wisconsin.
    My question is does the velvet buck add a few more points to the buck score?

T

7. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How do you know every deer is actually killed with a bow? Its an understanding of playing the game trutfully and the correct way. IMHO...so i say count the second buck as a doe. Like jakeratt said its on them not me, if they cheat to try and win an online deer contest.

8. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't see a problem with it, I've wondered why in the past it wasn't accepted that way. As far as the cheating concerns, if someone is going to cheat they will do so with or without this rule being ammended. I would be a yes vote.

9. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know I asked about this before, but we will abide by whatever the contest administrator decides on this. Like said, some people only get one tag, others cannot get doe tags. If you wanted to make it totally fair, it would be one deer per contestant. Just for S&G's let's leave it alone for this year and put out a poll for all members to vote on whether the contest next year will be a buck and doe, buck w/buck for doe points option, or one deer per participant and go with what the majority desires.

10. aaron21

aaron21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i agree with this. some have already started, some have not. leave it for this year.

11. SouthernMDArcher

SouthernMDArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am still considering the second buck counting issue. The one thing I know I do not like is changing the rules mid game.

Dave

12. crxwolski

crxwolski Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a question about the season dates. Here in IL we start OCT 1 but are season ends Jan 20, other states have a early season they can start before us but the contest ends before the end of our season. Plus if they can shoot a buck still in velvet that will give them a bigger score then a non velvet buck. I just want a even playing ground for every one on here. I like the secound buck counts for a doe too.

13. AUbowhunter

AUbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Unlimited does for next year! In Alabama we can kill two a day for the whole season. Kidding. adding a buck for doe points seems more fair. I still don't know why your first buck has to be recorded as your only. I am shooting the first buck I see this year since it will be my first buck with bow. Then I will hold out for a mature buck from now on. Seems like guys with only one tag hold out for the biggest, which makes since. But why can't I shoot a small buck for meat and then wait for a bigger one later in the season for the contest? Seems like guys with more tags have to either pass on deer or take a lower score for the contest.

14. youngfart

youngfart Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    " The one thing I know I do not like is changing the rules mid game."
    That's just it,the game has only started and I vote for allowing a second buck as a doe tag, now quote me on this, a lot of Americans have the sourcefullness of having neibouring States on all side's of them ,allowing them to go to another state to hunt. Allowing them the opertunity at a doe. Just a thought!
    Rocky

15. Iowa Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    T, is the velvet that thick that it would make a significant difference? My guess would be that it might add 3 or 4 inches total on a larger buck, but I don't know exactly how thick it is.

16. Iowa Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Rock, even though you have neighboring states does not mean that you can get a tag for that state. Also, some people don't have the funds to travel around hunting in other states.

17. Iowa Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Team Deer Hunting Contest Scoring Rule Amendments
    Amendment One: All deer have to be posted on the scoreboard within 24 hours of recovery with date and time of harvest. This includes either the mandatory two pictures or one video of the harvest.

Amendment Two: Contestants who can harvest more than one buck have the option to enter their first buck as their buck or choose to opt for the doe points if they think they might harvest a larger buck later. This can be done by announcing they opt for the Fitzy Clause. Once a buck has been recorded for the doe points, it cannot be changed if the contestant does not harvest another buck.

If approved, these amendments will go into effect for the 2013 contest.

All in favor……..

18. timmy_ar

timmy_ar Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I second this. Since this year has started just leave it be. My .02
    And Vet I had a buddy shoot a velvet bout 3 years ago and had about 18 inches more with the velvet on than when it dryed and he pulled it off.

19. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Velvet bucks, Mule deer bucks, Blacktail bucks ... these all could have multipliers ... but this contest is just for fun ... so who really cares?

As far as the secong buck counting as a doe ... It doesn't matter to me whatever everyone wants ...

But let's be real here ... the midwest guys will bring the most points to their teams by the sheer quantity of deer and big bucks .... so should there be a multplier for them?

This is just a fun contest ... allowing a doe helps new hunters feel more a part .... but it has definitely determined the outcome every year .... so, in short ... the rules will be what they will be and eveyone will be able to decide whether they wanna play under those rules ...

20. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I love this idea
    I hate this

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.