Portable Generators

Discussion in 'Bowfishing' started by WI-Hunter, Jul 26, 2012.

1. WI-Hunter

WI-Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I need to get a portable generator for my bowfishing boat. Im planning to run 2-4 halogen lamps off of the generator. It needs to be some what light weight and compact. but im not sure how many watt generator I need. Wondering if any of you could give me an answer or tell me what size you use. much appreciated. :confused:

2. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have no experience with bowfishing and generators, but I can say the Honda 2000i that we have at our camp up north is an amazing little piece of equipment. It's roughly the size of a mid size suitcase, weighs maybe 50ishlbs, will run for 8 hours on a gallon of gas, and it's super quiet. For $900 it's one of the best investments we have made at camp.

3. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    I just found one a guy at work had and sold to my Daughters boy friend. Its a small compact coleman 2500 watt. He runs 4 -400 watt lights off it and it does fine. It had an extra gas tank mounted on it for extended run times!

4. bowhunter1181

bowhunter1181 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    the honda 200 is awesome we hook it up to our 30ft camper gun hunting runs 10-12 hours with a gallon of gas

\

5. MechDoc

MechDoc Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have 2 Hondas. They are the quietest and most reliable generators I have ever used.

6. WI-Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you all for the input! It helps. I heard the Hondas were great generators and it sounds like most of you guys like em so I may have to look into them. Thanks again!

7. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We were using two Yamaha ef2400 gennys to run 10 halogen lights and an iota converter to run the trolling motor. (so the troller batteries never die) We use 225 watt ultra bulbs in 500 watt halogen housings to cut down our wattage draw.

Now we have a 28hp pusher fan instead of a troller so we don't need to run the converter. We only need to use one yamaha 2400 to run just the lights. We bought the yamahas because they are very quiet. Kind of a moot point with the fan. ;)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  8. WI-Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thats quite the set up. Nice!

9. Deep6

Deep6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I too have the Honda 1000 and a 2000 and I LOVE them! They use hardly any gas and arent heavy to carry around. Cant say enough good about them.