Pope & Young Pile Up-Team 32

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by Cablebob, Aug 25, 2012.

1. turkish621

turkish621 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know Wausau, I spent some time in Eau Claire back in the day, but live in MN now.

2. ArcheryAddict21

ArcheryAddict21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    hey guys been gone for a while cause it makes me want to knaw off my arm when i see people with bucks and i cant even hunt till sept 29th. That being said ive been frantically looking for another place to hunt since someone put a stand in my normal climbing location. found a decent oak flat on the edge of a field that looks like it might produce.. got 4 bucks last week on camera in shootiing light.. one was decent so hopefully he sticks around. The season cant start soon enough.

3. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's Great news ArcheryAddict! I hope you pin one to the ground. I agree the season can't start soon enough. I'ts really cooled off here in iowa, if it stays like this, it could be the best October in all the years I've hunted.

4. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah it was 49 this morning when I left for work. That's cooler then last year on opening day (Oct 1st) when it was 60 something in the AM and it was 80 something when I shot my doe. Like I mentioned before I will most likely miss the beginning of the season or at least early October; however I might get the chance to sneak out there opening weekend for a morning sit. Who knows! I've been eating the heck out of my burger to make room for the deer I harvest this year.

5. Cablebob

Dislikes Received:
    It was in the 30's over night last night! My wife an I are buying a 2nd freezer. :lol:

6. DD/MO

DD/MO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Got out yesterday evening in MO. I hunted the edge of an old food plot about 2 acres in size.

[​IMG]

Last year, I planted corn there in the center to block the view from the road to the east. I had a really good crop of corn last year; there was about half left when I checked it this spring during turkey season. So for this year, I opted not to replant, leave what was there go and let the two coves, one planted in BF oats and the other planted in a mix I created, grow up. I had 3 does and 2 fawns in front of me for 45 minutes at times within 15-40 yards. One doe was significantly bigger than the other two. I really wanted to shoot her but when she would present me with a shot, the camera angle was bad, or the other deer were looking my way and couldn't get drawn. They were also looking into the woods behind them so I was holding out to see what was coming. I know there are some good bucks in the area and was anticipating one of them to step out. Finally some 4-wheelers went speeding by on the road to the east. That put the deer on edge and they moved back into the woods not long after. So, no shot.

Here's a buck I took in 2009 from the same area. He's a mid 150's mainframe 8 point. There's one very similar to him running around there this year. Hopefully I'll get a crack at him.

[​IMG]

Oh, BTW....I updated my website. Check it out when you get a chance. http://www.hunterslink.com/

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  7. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's a STUD!!! :rock:

8. Cablebob

Dislikes Received:
    I love all that junk on his Brow tines... sweet lookin deer man.

9. Tekel

Tekel Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Finally got my car on the road so I can make it to my property without relying on someone else. Gotta get out there, pull my cards and scout some!

10. Cablebob

Dislikes Received:
    Good deal man. Post pics from your cams when you get back!

11. Tekel

Tekel Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Either I had my camera pointed wrong or squirrels were the ones eating. Nothing yet by my main stand. But my secondary stand seems to have a lot of movement. I only have 1 camera, so I will move it down there next week to see what's going on. But I dumped a pile and it was demolished with several trails through the tall brush leading to it.

12. heartstopper

heartstopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Went to the property the other evening to watch some bean fields. With in 15 min i had a doe and a fawn and a buck with 20 yards of my truck. Went there today to check camera and i bumped 4 does. I bought a Pse brute Lt in 2010 and it seemed to shoot loud, so yesterday i took off the Backstop vibration dampener off and the noise went away. I was wondering if there is suppose to be a space between the string and the dampener. Does anyone else have or had this problem.

13. Cablebob

Dislikes Received:
    You are supposed to be able to fit a business card between the string and the stop. So not a lot of space but yes, you need space there.

14. turkish621

turkish621 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a decent 8 point hanging out in a field this weekend, but never got closer than 75 yards. It's time like that when I wish I had my 30-06 with me :)

15. ArcheryAddict21

Dislikes Received:
    DD/MO thats a dandy 8 pointer.. still waiting here in PA and its killing me. Should be able to put a doe on the board for us first day but we'll see what happens. i may hold out to see if i can catch a buck in his natural pattern. ill be hunting a real good set of trails where two turn into one heavy trail one coming from a big crp field and another from real thick bedding into an oak flat that they are feeding heavily. I figure either i can catch them coming from the oaks feeding in the morning back to bed or from their bed in the morning going to the oaks. Have a few decent 8 pointers in the area with one maybe mid 140's but ive seen giants on this property every year. I cant hunt much during college and deffinately need a new ornament for my wall so im going to be pulling the trigger on the first one that gets my heart going thats legal. 4 more days......

16. ArcheryAddict21

Dislikes Received:
    just to add its been super cold here in PA too for how early it is.. we had frost yesterday morning and that normally doesnt happen till halloween. Im curious to see how the movement has changed when i get to hunt and check my cameras. Hopefully it cools off quick and gets those big guys movin!

17. Tekel

Tekel Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Calm down guys. We're a little to active in here.

18. Cablebob

Dislikes Received:
    It's because OUR team is all out scouting, hanging stands, tuning equipment, checking gear and getting ready to put one down. We don't have time to be talking all day on the interwebs. :)

19. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    lol, I've been stuck in Training all week out here in Kansas City (Lee Summit, MO). I've been seeing a lot of deer near my hotel in the evenings. NICE!. I get home (St Louis) Friday evening then I'm heading to Napa Valley, CA Saturday and won't be returning until Thursday night. So I'm hoping to get out next Saturday, but I'll most likely not because I do have a 2 year old that I'm missing like crazy and wont see him until next Friday. No fear though I going to kill something other than brain cells this fall.

20. Tekel

Tekel Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Gettin pretty disappointing on our property. None of the deer I had last year have shown back up yet. I'm guessing they were poached or overly harvested. People in the surrounding area hunt year round and I doubt they check half the deer they bag during the season. Its out in the boonies and I have no proof of any of this. But something might be changing, supposedly DNR was our in our middle of no where which is a good sign.

I have picked up 1 small 6, 2-3 spikes, couple of doe, and a black bear. Brother in law only had doe and 3 black bear on his. The season starts for us Saturday but I have football tickets so I won't be out.

Here is the small 6
    HUNT0157.jpg

And the black bear:
    HUNT0195.jpg