Poor boy food plots

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by buckwild_09, Jul 30, 2014.

1. buckwild_09

buckwild_09 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    20140620_112329.jpg
    this is my first time planting this particular area. Started with lots and lots of grass and weeds about waist high. Took the lawn mower with the deck all the way up and went real slow. I did this after a week of dry weather to make sure it wouldn't clog up the mower. After the first pass, I dropped it down as low as possible and shot all the clippings to the outside of the mowed area which is close to 1/2 acre. Right after I applied Glyphosate which I mixed a little more concentrated then regular because of the well rooted grasses.
    20140712_131526.jpg
    Next, waited about a week and a half and let everything die off the best I could. I got the propane torch out and did a control burn. It is very important to do this on a day with no wind because things can get out of control fast especially in dry summer. I had my buddy help me to keep everything under control even though its not that big of an area.
    20140726_162321.jpg
    I decided to mow a little bit more after deciding to go with split plot of clover and brassicas. I didn't take a picture of the burnt area but if somebody did not even have a tiller i think the seed would have taken to it. The ground was bare and after a light rain I think you would be able to break the top layer of soil to seed.
    However, I wanted a nice seed bed. I grossly under estimated the amount of work this would take. And honestly I would not recommend this for the light hearted but I am crazy and did it anyways. Took me a total of 12 hours to do my 3 plots. The first pass was the hardest but luckily I didnt run into any rocks.
    20140727_115020.jpg
    I planted W.I. Clover and Maxi Rack Ballistic which is a great mix of brassicas, purple top turnips and sugar beets. Just used a little cheap hand spreader to broadcast the seed after I firmed the seed bed with the lawn mower tires.
    20140727_123658.jpg
    Here is a small food plot I put behind my stand. It is secluded pretty well to draw out the skiddish deer. You can also see in front of the plot I have my mineral site that the deer are absolutely tearing up!!
    20140727_165318.jpg
    DONE! Broadcast all the seed and fertilized with 120lbs of Triple 15 (15-15-15). I know that clover doesn't need nitrogen since it is a nitrogen "fixer" but couldn't find any N free fertilizer cheap and my local co-op wont sell in small quantities. but this will still do the trick. I got my soil sample from Biologic labs and they recommended how much fertilizer I put down. Everybody should have a sample taken cause they only cost about $8. After seed and fertilizer, I rode all over it again with the tractor to get good soil to seed contact.

Here in about a month I will go back out and spread some triple 15 again only over the brassicas to promote fast growth and check to see if I need to do any weed control. Hope some people found this helpful and informative. I don't have any big equipment or money. It is a ton of work and sometimes thought I got more than I could handle but with a lil dedication and perseverance im sure it will pay off. I have a lot of passion for quality deer management and bow hunting and am excited for Ohio opener on Sept. 27th. Feel free to comment, share, or even give me some advice on what to do next time.
    thanks for reading!

Buckwild

2. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Dude... Nice work!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Very nice the deer are going to love it

4. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just goes to show you don't need all that fancy equipment to do good food plots. A little time, preparation, and hard work and you can have beautiful plots that deer will hammer come fall. Great looking plot.

5. buckwild_09

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys I appreciate it!! I'm headed out tomorrow to check it out so hopefully i have some good sprouts!

6. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I 100% agree on the sample. Biologic has a pretty decent turnaround too and cheap. It cost more for me to mail the sample than the test. Now its time for you to sit back and watch it grow. Good Luck.

7. Englishman

Englishman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    looks really good, keep us updated.

8. choppernut

choppernut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Man...This is awesome!! I love it when guys show their hardwork!! Im excited to see the results!!
    Good Luck!!

9. buckwild_09

Dislikes Received:
    20140801_111302.jpg 20140801_111342.jpg

******UPDATE******

Thanks guys I appreciate it for sure. I checked the food plot this weekend and I have some good sprouting going on! This mild august weather and perfect amount of rain is making it a perfect year for growing! check back periodically cause I will have more pics.

10. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome work! Looking good man!

11. buckwild_09

Dislikes Received:
    update
    12 days since I planted. brassica coming in nice. clover having a hard time but it just rained last night so it should take off now! 20140809_094855.jpg
    20140809_095003.jpg

12. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Looks great. I picture in my head doing something similar one of these years. Glad to see that it can be done.

13. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    great work

14. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    People always overlook sulfur with brassicas....i love using an 8-13-28-6 or in areas where there i no need for phosphorus, an 9-0-26-12