POLL: Do you process your own deer?

Discussion in 'Game Processing, Recipes & Cooking' started by MissionOutdoors.Net, May 11, 2017.

?

Do you process your own deer?

1. Yes I process my own

53 vote(s)
    81.5%
  2. No, I have a friend who does it for me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, I pay to have it done

12 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. John adams

John adams Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like doing it myself, I know what meat is going to be used for what and I can get the right sized cuts I want. plus I know who's handling it

2. daniel72

daniel72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I process my own deer. My whole family helps from my dad to my mom and my girlfriend that helps do it. And I find it fun and useful to know how to do

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Tribeck likes this.
  3. kboatman107

kboatman107 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I found a local butcher who does wild game on the side at his house. He charges $70 for deer and $125 for elk. He's quick and only does one at a time so you know your getting your own meat back. When I drop it off he's usually calling me within a few hours to come pick it up. Can't beat it especially since I don't have the space to do it myself.

Tribeck likes this.
  4. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My buddies and I all get together to process when the timing works out

5. zachd

zachd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I usually do my own... I did have to have one processed last year I got with a shotgun was party hunting at farm land that has no buildings on it and we were staying in a rv edition ice house. It was on opener and I think it was almost 80 degrees out. Shot it 4 mins into legal shooting hours. Since I was 3 hour from home and we still had tags to fill I didn't want to drive home and I sure wasn't going to let it hang all day in 80 degree weather So I dropped it off and went back hunting. Shot a doe that evening went home after that and cut that one myself.

6. ETABNT

ETABNT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Grinder at Tractor supply or a smaller box store not an outdoor store runs a lot cheaper. Buy your fat at the grocery store. You know you are getting back what you are making unlike dropping it off. You dont always get back the weight you dropped for some reason. If anything you should be getting back more because they add fat the the burger and sausage but it never happens for me so i stopped dropping it off and started doing it my self. Besides it gives you something to do over the slow months of winter.

MissionOutdoors.Net likes this.
  7. Dwb

Dwb Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have done my own for years. But I think I'm going to stop this year. I have a great butcher that will do it cheaper if I quarter myself. So I really won't be saving much if I do it myself with the price of bags and ice.

8. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It depends on whether its bound for the taxidermist. The bucks we shoot get mounted so we take those to the processor. The processor does an excellent job and has an impeccable reputation.

9. Eddie234

Eddie234 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll process my own, depending on how warm it is and if I have enough time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10. RyanW

RyanW Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I probably wouldn’t eat it if I didn’t... I am very picky about the entire process.....from how I field dress them to wrapping packages for the freezer.... you won’t get hair or gristle at my house...

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums